• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will this version of Lightroom work for me?

Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a photographer. I mostly enjoy using the extreme power and versatility that Photoshop has to offer. I like power-user programs such as Dreamweaver/Muse or Photoshop/Illustrator for the most part, over things like XD and Autodesk Sketchbook, for instance. Which version of Lightroom would suit my needs for casual photo editing? Or would I be better off with Photoshop?

And yes, I've read the FAQ, but as it was highly biased towards the new Lightroom (or it seemed to be anyway for me), I was hoping to get user feedback. I've never used Lightroom before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a choice:

• (1) LRCC + Photoshop $9.99 (or with 1TB cloud storage but without Photoshop)
  • (2) LR Classic + Photoshop $9.99

The first has most of the tools of (2) in a more intuitive interface and all originals imported into LRCC are automatically backed up to the cloud. Additional storage available at $10 per 1TB

The second has more features for bulk editing and batch exports, not yet available in (1) but requires your own backup strategy. Has separate modules for print, slideshow, web etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon  wrote

There is a choice:

• (1) LRCC + Photoshop $9.99 (or with 1TB cloud storage but without Photoshop)
  • (2) LR Classic + Photoshop $9.99

I don't think that's quite right, John. There's not a plan that combines only LRCC and Photoshop (or at least I can't find one). I think that there are two variants of the Photography Plan:

1. LRCC, LR Classic, Photoshop CC + 20GB cloud space at $9.99 per month (upgrade cloud space for an additional $10 per month per TB).

2. LRCC only + 1TB Cloud Space (no Photoshop) also at $9.99 per month

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct Jim. I had assumed as the OP was using Photoshop that he would go for one or the other Photography Plans e.g. one or the other, avoiding using both LRCC and Classic.

Here is the link with comparisons:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also pick you up on "but requires your own backup strategy." Both do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ethandale  wrote

I'm not a photographer. I mostly enjoy using the extreme power and versatility that Photoshop has to offer. I like power-user programs such as Dreamweaver/Muse or Photoshop/Illustrator for the most part, over things like XD and Autodesk Sketchbook, for instance. Which version of Lightroom would suit my needs for casual photo editing? Or would I be better off with Photoshop?

And yes, I've read the FAQ, but as it was highly biased towards the new Lightroom (or it seemed to be anyway for me), I was hoping to get user feedback. I've never used Lightroom before.

Classic has power and versatility, CC has much less power and isn't so versatile. Its main virtue is if you want a more mobile workflow with an app that stores originals in the cloud and allows you the versatility to edit them from the cloud. It's cloud-dependent, rather like running the Lightroom Mobile app but on your Mac/PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRCC does not require an independent backup strategy but (optionally) offers the ability to store a copy locally as well as in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you and I should be clear about what is being backed up? If we are talking photos, an optional local copy is not independent, not a backup, and not a strategy. Accidentally delete a photo in LRCC and it's goodbye to the local copy too. You really need your own backup procedures with both apps.

If we are talking catalogues, of course people should backup the Classic catalogue. In the case of LRCC there is nothing you could even back up, which does leave people pretty exposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure? If I make a copy of my original to an external drive at the time of import, how would that be deleted if I accidentally removed it from the cloud? That would be a surprise to some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am sure. But by making your own copy upon import, you are describing an independent backup strategy that provides a safeguard. LRCC's local storage preference doesn't offer that level of protection against mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks John. I’ve not been using that preference setting myself but I wonder how many others realize that they are making only a local copy for editing off-line and not a permanent duplicate copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine quite few, though there will be a proportion doing like you do, or letting Classic download local copies. One day LRCC will probably have a trash or archive function, and maybe when batch processing is introduced there will also be a way to take everything back to the day before you dragged that slider without noticing you had all 20000 images selected. But that's for the future, and sadly people are encouraged on the main product page to think that "both your photos and edits [are] backed up to the cloud". Using LRCC doesn't mean you don't need to think about backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ethandale  wrote

I think it depends whether you require organisation tools as well as editing ones ethandale if you are considering Lightroom vs Photoshop.

Professionally for image manipulation I use Photoshop whereas Photography is one of my hobbies. So for organising my photographs, light editing & sharing, the Cloud Based Lightroom CC suits me fine as I don't need all the complexity that can come with Lightroom Classic.

Obviously, many others with different use cases and interests have varying views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines