Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS Styles keep self-deleting from Styles Palette

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All!

I have Photoshop CC (subscription service) on Windows 10 and am dealing with this consistent problem:

Every time I open PS, I have to delete the dumb, default styles and load in my own, custom styles.  They work fine, but when i close the program, all of the files I have painstakingly loaded self-delete, and it reverts back to the default styles.

This doesn't happen with my Brushes, Actions, Swatches, or anything else - just the styles.

I have tried copying my Styles into both the Photoshop --> Presets --> Styles folder as well as the App Date --> Roaming --> Photoshop --> Preset folders.  Neither of these things work.

Any ideas/advice that I can try to preserve the custom styles in the Styles Palette?

And WHERE are those dumb, default styles located so that I can permanently delete them!

Thanks for your help!

Mags

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

This is a fresh installation on a brand-new computer.  Only items added are brushes, swatches, actions, and styles.  I appreciate your response - Thank you.  Unfortunately, it didn't help fix my problem.  The mention of the styles.psp idea did lead me to doing some searching for it in the Cdrive.  I was able to finally find the default styles ASL files.

These Default Styles are housed here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Required and are literally titles "Default Styles."

I loade

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MagsGfx  wrote

Hey All!

I have tried copying my Styles into both the Photoshop --> Presets --> Styles folder as well as the App Date --> Roaming --> Photoshop --> Preset folders.  Neither of these things work.

Mags

Putting styles in any folder does not load any of the styles into Photoshop Styles palette.   If you have loaded styles into Photoshop Styles Palette and they are not there when you restart Photoshop.  You need to find out why your user ID Photoshop preferences file "Styles.psp"  Is not being updated or is being reset or what is deleting Styles to your Styles palette. Either something is wrong with your user id permissions, or some Photoshop Add-on is messing with your styles palette.  I have been using Photoshop for more then 20 years on Windows and have never had your issue.  My loaded styles stay put in my Styles Palette.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had this same problem with my version of Photoshop before my subscription-based service.  I thought problem would fix itself with my new computer - it's a fresh install on a computer with no previous version.

So how would I go about finding out why my Styles.psp is being reset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone like me reports the they do not believe its an Adobe bug.  You have to evaluate if you think I what I wrote may be correct.  There is a lot of bad information on the web.  A lot of that information was posted with good intension for the poster believed what they posted was correct good information. 

If you think what I posted may be good information.  You should check to see  if   Styles.psp is where loaded styles are stored. If you fine that is correct you should keep tabs on the file to see if you catch when its is being changed.  It not a preference file that is rewritten every time you closes Photoshop. What date was it last updated.  If it updated every time you start Photoshop what add-on you installed are initialized when Photoshop starts.

My educated guess is that something you have added to Photoshop is responsible for you problem. An action, a script, a plug-in, an extension.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fresh installation on a brand-new computer.  Only items added are brushes, swatches, actions, and styles.  I appreciate your response - Thank you.  Unfortunately, it didn't help fix my problem.  The mention of the styles.psp idea did lead me to doing some searching for it in the Cdrive.  I was able to finally find the default styles ASL files.

These Default Styles are housed here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Required and are literally titles "Default Styles."

I loaded up my Styles and save them as one set.  Then I copied this set to the folder listed above.  I deleted the original "Default Styles" and renamed my set to "Default Styles."

Then I reloaded Photoshop and was happy to find that this worked!  My new "Default Styles" are now visible without the old styles from Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you do not find what is causing you issue.  If you load additional styles or create additional styles you will find you will  loose these and be reset to this new default set you just forced into Photoshop cc 2018

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines