• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

History states disappeared after Lightroom Classic update?

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update to Lightroom Classic the nes catalog created has lost all the history states of my edited photos. I have the old catalog but afraid if I open that and upgrade it as you must to use Classic I will again loose my history states. Seen other posts the same but no answers. By the way does adobe actually have a contact that you can speak to??? Seems to go round in endless circle but never able to actually speak to Adobe staff. Suppose they expect the community to do there job for them!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked images from back in 2014 and 2009 and all the history is there.

Are you sure you are looking at edited images? Does it have the Edit icon in the lower right hand side of the image thumbnail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Gareth+Kirkland  wrote

After the update to Lightroom Classic the nes catalog created has lost all the history states of my edited photos. I have the old catalog but afraid if I open that and upgrade it as you must to use Classic I will again loose my history states.

Upgrading your catalog to Lightroom Classic CC first makes a COPY of your existing catalog file, and upgrades the copy. Your original will not be touched at all. You can still open your original catalog file using earlier versions of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should retain the history state when you upgrade a catalog. As the upgrade creates a copy, you don't have to fear for your old catalog if you do it again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Gareth+Kirkland  wrote

After the update to Lightroom Classic the nes catalog created has lost all the history states of my edited photos.

Just to be clear, did you upgrade the catalog by importing all your photos into a new LR Classic CC catalog? Or did you allow Lightroom Classic CC to upgrade the existing catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for the replies. I just allowed lightroom to update the catalog, but it created another with the same name just 'ircat 2'

The images have definitely been edited. The photo appears with the edits made but with no history state. I could use the old catalog with an older version of Lightroom but would ideally like to use the update and not loose all my edit history. It's happened to other people but not many it seems. If I open the old catalog Lightroom asks me to update it but I'm worried if I do that it will again  loose the edit history. Then I would have to use a back up and loose a lot of work that I have done recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no difference between upgrading the catalog (what you mention first) and letting Lightroom Classic open the old catalog and upgrade it (last sentence). That makes me wonder if you have not lost the history earlier. The only way to check that is to open the old catalog in an old version of Lightroom, so no upgrading takes place.

Losing the history is not very serious however. You can 'undo' any edit by simply resetting the slider manually, and the advantage of that is that you can do this in any order you like. If you use the history, you can only 'undo' in the exact same (reversed) order you used when you made the edits, so this is in fact less flexible. Because of the way the Lightroom works, the order in which you make your edits is irrelevant.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Johan. I'll try that though I'm pretty sure all was ok before the update. Yes I can reset settings or reset individual sliders, but I really like to see exactly what I have done to an image in the order I've done it, & besides it's a bit worrying when any information is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines