• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Lightroom Classic (7.2) - Lightroom appears to be accessing every photograph in my catalog (83,315 images)

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I did the update earlier this afternoon I have noticed a significant slowdown in performance and the hard drive that contains my images is being accessed almost constantly. I am on a Windows 7 system and used 'Task Manager' to open the 'Resource Monitor'. Under the 'Disk' tab I can see probably 45 or 50 .dng files being accessed by Lightroom.exe. It is only read activity, not write, and new file names are appearing and others are disappearing. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm hoping after it accesses all the files it will stop. I tried searching for this but didn't find any reports with the keywords I was using.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be related a known issue associated with syncing to Lr CC and Cloud. At present you can either allow the scan (digest computation) to complete then disable syncing (Pause) with cloud or if you don't use the cloud just disable it as shown in below screenshot.

pause_sync.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian. I tried pausing syncing about 10 or more hours ago and nothing changed. I turned it back on a few minutes later so maybe I didn’t have it off long enough. I wondered if it might have something to do with the new folder search options. I just checked and it looks to be about 3/4 of the way through the photos. I hope it finishes in a few hours. I’m not used to having to wait a few seconds to go from photo to photo and for adjustments to alter the photo. First world problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you relaunch Lightroom after pausing sync? I forgot to mention that above. That being said, if you do sync with cloud the it's probably best that you allow the digest computation to complete. From what I've been told it's a one time exercise.

BTW, I don't believe it's related to Folder Search. I have over 130k of images in my catalog and not seen the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I didn’t relaunch Lightroom. Didn’t think about it. I just got back home and it looks like it’s almost finished. It’s up to photos taken on February 3rd. The date is part of my folder and photo names so I can see that it’s up to those. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe they have the priority of this process messed up. It should take back seat to what the user is trying to do. We’ll see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ian. It finished a few minutes ago and the disk activity has stopped. I've had syncing turned on for months and use it from time to time to edit files on my iPad while on the road. On Wednesday night / Thursday morning I was trying to edit photos while out of town and there was a problem where I was pasting settings from the previous photo. It would work for a while and then it would quit. I could still change the sliders to edit the file but I couldn't do a paste from previous. The button was grayed out. Maybe syncing was breaking down and Lightroom was trying to reset things.

Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines