• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Imports create new root directory after moving all files to new laptop

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a new laptop, re-installed Lightroom, and copied all files to the new hard drive (actual pictures, catalogues, etc)

Now when I import new pictures, the pictures actually go to the correct place, but in the library they show as a new root directory rather than their proper location.  If you try to move the new folder to its proper place, Lightroom tells you there is already a file with that name -- which is true as the file is actually in the correct place.  Just not in the Library list.  If you look in file explorer, everything is fine -- its just the library list that is wrong.  Lightroom snip.JPGHow do I fix this so new imports show correctly in the library?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

doug@dougandpam  wrote

But it appears you can't rename the user folder.  Do I need to set up a new user folder called Doug (vs doug) and copy every file I have to the new user folder?  Will it even let me a create a new user folder with in effect the same name?

Doug

Nothing like that. As I said earlier, the fix is quite simple. Proceed as follows:

1. Take a catalog backup, as a "just in case" restore point.

2. On your hard drive, but outside the Users folder, create a folder called e.g. Capsfix.

3. In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all probability you've changed the capitalisation of the file-path on the new laptop (typically the user-name is slightly different, e.g. Jim on one system, jim on the new). This trips up Lightroom because it would see Jim and jim as different, but the OS seems them as one and the same.

It's easy enough to fix once we've identified the source of the problem. To do that you need to hover the cursor over the Pictures folder in the Folders Panel, and a popup will show the full path to that folder. Note that down carefully, ensuring you get the capitalisation correct. Then repeat for the "Test Import" folder. Post both paths back here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're onto something -- the root shows

C:\Users\Doug\Pictures\Pictures

and the Test Import shows:

C:\Uers\doug\Pictures\PIctures\Boats\Test Imports

The Doug vs doug seems to be the issue.

The folder on my new computer is C:\Users\doug

Do you recommend renaming is C:\Users\Doug?

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that changing the user name is entirely straightforward, however to fix the Lightroom issue to use the "doug" username is fairly easy. What do you want to do, change the username or have LR fixed to use the current username?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it appears you can't rename the user folder.  Do I need to set up a new user folder called Doug (vs doug) and copy every file I have to the new user folder?  Will it even let me a create a new user folder with in effect the same name?

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might be the only solution. That is if you can actually create a new user with only the Capital D changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doug@dougandpam  wrote

Doug

Nothing like that. As I said earlier, the fix is quite simple. Proceed as follows:

1. Take a catalog backup, as a "just in case" restore point.

2. On your hard drive, but outside the Users folder, create a folder called e.g. Capsfix.

3. In Lightroom's Folders Panel, right-click on the "Pictures" folder and select "Update Folder Location".

4. In the resulting file browser, navigate to and select the "Capsfix" folder that you just created.

5. Pictures will disappear from the Folders Panel and Capsfix will appear.

6. Now right-click on "Capsfix" and again select "Update Folder Location".

7. In the resulting file browser, navigate to and select the "Pictures" folder in your user library.

8. You may receive a "Merge" dialog warning message, if you do, click on "Merge".

That should be that, future imports will now go into the correct place and will appear in Lightroom's Folder Panel in the right place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim:

THANK-YOU SO MUCH.  That fixed my issue.

I'm very impressed you responding on a Sunday, and with a quick and solid solution.  Sincerely appreciate it.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines