• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inspiration

Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just seen these on Bored Panda, and I was thinking that any of the people doing Dave's SFTW challenges could do the manipulations.  You just need half decent photography skills, some willing subjects, but most of all, you need the ideas.  It's clever stuff and quite nicely done.  I think it was #24 that was vaguely NSFW.

I Create Crazy Photo Manipulations With My Three Daughters And Son, And Here’s What We Made So Far |...

A taster.  He has three daughters, and this one is a star, and I suspect more than a bit cheeky.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just checked his site and it's mind boggling how he comes up with them.

Excellent work and bookmarked.

@

Inspiration

Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Thanks for sharing :^)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SMOk3420  wrote

I've just checked his site and it's mind boggling how he comes up with them.

Hey thanks for mentioning his site.  Like Erik Johansson, it turns out that John has some 'Making Of' images, but they are in the form of a collage of the constituent images above the finished composite/illustration.  I love those little heaps of salt, dirt, and other debris that he turns into hills and different seasons.

We don't hear so much of Dave Hill nowadays (he used to be _everywhere_).  His (rock) group images used to be done first as a collective with everyone in their place, and then the positions were marked, and he'd set up each person and element individually so he could get optimal lighting. People used to argue about how he achieved his look, but he was interviewed on the Studio Lighting podcasts a few years ago, and said there were no tricks.  He does use a _lot_ of light though.  There was a great story about how he was photographing a three piece band and forgot to warn them about the 2KW head he had positioned very close to them.  The first shot was so bright, and so loud, they apparently nearly fell over.  I think there are 3KW to 5KW studio lights out there now.

Dave Hill

Going back to Erik Johansson, his 'how it was done' guides take the form of videos, so if you have not seen them, you really can learn a trick or two from his YouTube channel

Erik Johansson - YouTube

One of my favourites is still the five year old Cut & Fold — I love how he warps the ground to follow the lines of the paper template he cuts out and photographs.   There's a real lesson in that.  It is so often easier to fake the real thing by taking photos of something that represents the real thing.  No struggling to get the perspective right, or decide what the shadows should look like.  If only we all had a Hasselblad.  Then we could all make pictures like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing. They are amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ronald+Keller  wrote

Thank you for sharing. They are amazing!

I'm sure that a lot of the people who post here have the Photoshop skills.  It's all about having the ideas, and the drive to make them real.  Is there an answer for that?  Dave's SFTW threads have been popular with some amazing results, but I doubt any of them had as much work put into them as the images above.  You'd need the incentive of a good audience. Self satisfaction is OK how many of us are going to put that much work into something no one will ever see?

John Wilhelm will have started out doing it for his then two daughters, and I can remember his work from back then.  It was so good it got noticed and shared, and now he has all the incentive he needs from both love for his family, and his large fanbase.  I don't know what drove Eric at the outset.  I guess it is like music.  If it is there inside you, then you have no choice but to let it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very true...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines