• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC: 3D > Generate Normal Map crashes

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using a trial version of Photoshop CC for the first time on 13-2-2018 and attempted to use the 'generate normal map' feature, which can be done via the 3D view, after having applied a colour texture to a 3D mesh and choosing 'generate normal from colour' (or something named very similar) this crashed photoshop 100%.  I tried this 3 times, I think.

Then I tried to do the same thing through a slightly different path:  Filter > 3D > Generate normal map.  This also crashed from 2 out of 2 attempts.

I sent the crash reports on each occasion.

I thought I'd better mention this here since there's another post with a similar topic (Re: Photoshop crashing when generating normals or bump maps in 3D ) but the work-around does not work in my case.

Graphics card: Radeon RX 580.

Radeon software version: 18.2.1

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit: 1703 (os build 15063.674)

Added some additional gfx card and OS details/version in case they help with the issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Added to an existing issue here.

Got a hint that it might relate to multiple monitors... which it does:  Disabling my second monitor lets me run the above step without it crashing (thankfully it allowed me 1 extra use past the license expiry so that I could test this).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have no problem here with that function (Filter - 3D - Generate bump map).

I have Radeon 18.2.2 software (with HD7970 3GB)
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  1709 build 16299.248

Photoshop 19.1.1  r254

What bit depth are you using when creating the map?
What pixel size is the image you are using to create the map?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 5 day trial has now expired so I'm afraid I can't provide any more details.

I'd be happy to investigate further if there's a way to briefly extend it. Is this possible?

Dan

Edit:  If I remember rightly, it will have just been a simple 8 bit per channel, sRGB image (or possibly grey-scale). No bigger than 512x512.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This is just a user to user forum , answered by volunteers, so we cannot extend trials.

I've just tried an image at the dimensions you describe , again no problem generating the map.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

This is just a user to user forum , answered by volunteers...

Thanks Dave, but that doesn't look to be exclusively the case according to this post -

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8247679

which appears to be answered by a user marked as 'staff' / 'adobe employee'.

So, my crash dumps are sent, I've done my duty in reporting the crash here too, in case it leads to a fix or a work-around that helps others, and my offer to investigate further still stands (with the understanding that I can now only usefully provide any internal log files, unless adobe can provide me with a license extension for the purpose of further investigation).

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Staff do drop in occasionally, and you can recognise them by that red badge,  but the best way to reach developers with feedback is here:Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I must have missed that somewhere when hunting around for how to report a problem. I just went via the Creative Cloud launcher's 'Help' option.

I'll report the issue where you've suggested.

Thanks very much for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Added to an existing issue here.

Got a hint that it might relate to multiple monitors... which it does:  Disabling my second monitor lets me run the above step without it crashing (thankfully it allowed me 1 extra use past the license expiry so that I could test this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines