Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot type in "find format" find/change field

Participant ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IND 2017.0 release on Mac running OSX El Captian 10.11.6

This just started happening today. I have rebuilt my IND prefs (using shift/ctrl/opt/cmd on restart of IND). Restarted computer, new file etc. and I still am not able to type in the field. It also won't show my fonts in the drop down. This image shows only recent fonts (before I rebuilt prefs) and not the whole list of loaded fonts. The full list does show when I access it from the type menu or control panel.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 1.04.19 PM.png

I have had issues before with the type fields in the find/change dialogues going wonky (sometimes typing backwards!) but this was usually fixed by rebuilding the prefs. I am not sure what to do now.

One thing has changed on my computer. Yesterday I updated Xquartz to version 2.7.1. I wanted to try FontForge to build an icon glyph as a font. I wasn't able to get that to work and generated no fonts, so no new fonts installed either. This required me to change one default preference in Xquartz (under which FontForge runs, I guess). That was to uncheck: INPUT: Enable Key equivalents under X11 (When enabled, menu bar key equivalents may interfere with X11 applications that use Meta modifier.)

I have since turned this check mark back on in the default setting. So, I don't know if this has anything to do with it. It did not make a difference with this problem after I turned it back on.

I have resisted updating to 2018 for several reasons, also not updating to High Sierra is intentional due to other software incompatibilities. My reason for not updating include production downtime due to problems. I usually wait to see what others are experiencing.

Any help appreciated. I think I can still IND but not being able to see my fonts in the fields or type will pinch productivity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems within panels can many times be fixed by trashing your InDesign cache files (which is not the same as trashing preferences).

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change. 

For Windows Users: On Windows 7 and above the caches files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]\<Language>\Cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sue:

This does sound like a preferences issue. There are different ways of resetting preferences—a keyboard shortcut or deleting the InDesign SavedData and InDesign Defaults files. Did you try both?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

The next level is to delete the cache—steps outlined at the bottom of this thread.

CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences

All these files regenerate themselves when you restart—but the final technique acts like a fresh installation. Saved GREP queries, saved workplaces, etc will be gone.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines