• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you save Local Adjustments such as brush strokes in Lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I'm using the Radial Filter, I can create an adjustment and save it as a Develop Preset which appears on the left panel.

Can the same thing be done with the Brush tool?

For example, could I paint a "light-leak" using the brush tool, then save that local adjustment as a Develop preset on the left, then apply that to other images?

Or is it only possible to save the Brush's settings as a preset?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

It looks like they've somehow custom edited the code to include Local Adjustments made with a brush in the preset

Here's how to manually edit a preset to include brush strokes:

1. Download and install my free Show Catalog Metadata plugin.  Follow the instructions for one of my other plugins for how to install it, e.g. Export LUT Lightroom Plugin

2. In the Develop > Presets panel, create a new preset called "Brush", with just Exposure checked.

3. Right-click the preset and do Show In Finder / Explo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy global adjustments from one photo to another using the Sync Settings button in the Library Module. I haven't tried it with local adjustments, so I am pleased to give you a homework assignment to try it out and let us all know.

Also, in the Develop Module, you can select multiple photos in the filmstrip, turn on AutoSync and then any global or local adjustments (I know this works in the Develop Module) you apply to one photo will apply to all selected photos. (And remember to turn off AutoSync when you are done using it!)

I guess this isn't the same as saving some sort of local adjustment preset as you asked, but it does enable you to copy adjustments from one photo to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes I've tried, and you certainly can use the Sync to copy Local Adjuments (such as Brush Strokes) onto other photos.

I was wondering if there was an easy way to make this into a preset.

I found this company, who seem to do it and claim to do it using the Brush tool, but I can't see how this is possible. With the Radial Filter maybe, but not with the Brush function:

https://lensdistortions.com/lightroom/accent/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They seem to be using multiple radial filters.  This is from their web site.  See the bottom paragraph.   In my opinion its a pretty ugly effect they are demonstrating.

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 2.03.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded their presets, and checked out the .lrtemplate file in notepad.

It looks like they've somehow custom edited the code to include Local Adjustments made with a brush in the preset 😮

Like they've somehow made Local Adjustments with a brush, saved it as an XMP, then used the data from the XMP to create the lrtemplate file.

Not quite sure how they did it, maybe there's a tool to do this kind of thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like they've somehow custom edited the code to include Local Adjustments made with a brush in the preset

Here's how to manually edit a preset to include brush strokes:

1. Download and install my free Show Catalog Metadata plugin.  Follow the instructions for one of my other plugins for how to install it, e.g. Export LUT Lightroom Plugin

2. In the Develop > Presets panel, create a new preset called "Brush", with just Exposure checked.

3. Right-click the preset and do Show In Finder / Explorer.

4. Open the file Brush.lrtemplate in your favorite text editor.

5. In Develop, apply the brush strokes to a sample file.

6. Do File > Plug-in Extras > Show Catalog Metadata > Show.

7. In the window that pops up, copy the block of lines that starts with "PaintBasedCorrections = {--table:" and all the lines that are indented underneath that line.

8. In the text editor editing Brush.lrtemplate, replace the line "Exposure2012 = 0," with the block of lines you copied in the previous step.

9. Save the file.

10. Restart LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible.

Perfect answer, thank you kindly!

It worked a treat. It's amazing to know that these are the capabilities of Lightroom, yet it's not part of the built in Lightroom Functionality for including this in presets.

I wonder what else could be done by changing the code in this way 😮

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can also store crops in presets, though I haven't tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2017 Sep 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh, Dropbox changed how they handle files in the Public folder and it seems to have invalidated all my public links.  This link should work: Dropbox - showmetadata.1.1.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greatly appreciated John. Many Thanks. I'm going to have a play now with lrtemplate files! See what I can come up with!

corin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest link you posted is also not working... is there a new link? I'm interested in saving brush strokes as a preset. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the latest version: Dropbox - showmetadata.1.2.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry to bother again, but I have gone through all the steps and my brush preset isn't showing up when I restart lightroom. Is this something you've run into before? The info is there, so if I try to save another "brush" preset, I can see in the folder that the previous data is still stored, but the preset doesn't show in the preset list. Any advice would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested the recipe with the new version of Show Catalog Metadata, and it worked for me.

Why don't you copy and paste the contents of the brush.lrtemplate file here, and we can see what might be going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you are extracting this from a DB. Is this from the lightroom catalog? Where exactly? I'm running into encryption password required. I'm wondering if a SQL to XML converter will work to create presets.

Also, when you copy settings in lightroom, where is that information stored and is there a way to extract it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recipe I posted above doesn't work with LR 7.3 or later, because Adobe changed the representation of presets in 7.3.

However, you can use the free Fix Presets plugin to add the Adjustment Brush settings from the currently selected photo to an existing preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, wondering if you have a link available for the showmetadata plug-in that would be compatible with LR CC 2015? I'm needing to create a few .lrt presets from brush strokes, not xmp files. I can no longer upgrade/downgrade to LR 7.3, which it loooks like is the oldest version of software that the Fix Presets Plugin is compatible with. I have a much older version of theshowmetadata plugin, but it's not compatible with CC 2015 either. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES. This Fix Presets Plugin is so easy to use and works perfectly. Thanks for linking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

the link to the show catalog plugin isn't working. Is there a new link i could use or has its functionality been replaced by another of your plugins?

thanks a mill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not entirely sure about presets, but I spent quite a while trying to figure out just how to copy single brush filters from one photo to another in the new Lightroom CC. If anyone's simply looking to clone their brush settings from one photo to another check it out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi John, wondering if you have a link available for the showmetadata plug-in that would be compatible with LR CC 2015? I'm needing to create a few .lrt presets from brush strokes, not xmp files."

Here's version 1.3 of the Show Catalog Metadata plugin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttmou2q8bhfxslm/showmetadata.1.3.zip?dl=0

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful, will test this. Thanks, John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, would you have any idea why I'm getting this error when trying to use the plugin? ThanksScreen Shot 2019-10-30 at 8.36.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fat-fingered the release script. Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxljket1zpymase/showmetadata.1.4.zip?dl=0 

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines