• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool, layer mask issue question

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue I'm struggling with. 

I want to remove the white background from an "award" element jpg.  There are a couple of words

in the middle between two olive wreaths on the left and right.  I tried the Magic Wand but it left too much

outside the marching ants and I find it a real pain to edit it.  So, I've elected to user the Pen Tool, which allows

me to select exactly what I want.   Ultimately, the goal is to get this logo over a transparent background and

make several different colors of it (black, white, orange).

I pen tooled the wreaths, closed path, and right-clicked inside the path.  From the dropdown, I selected

"Make Selection", no Feather Radius, anti-aliased, New Selection.   Hit OK.  At the bottom of the Laters screen,

I selected "Create Layer Mask".  The background in the image around the wreath (I had it on a separate layer),

instantly disappeared, and I was left with just the wreath over transparency.  Just what I needed.  I then added a

"fx" and selected color overlay and was easily able to change its color.

I then tried it on the three words.  I followed the steps  exactly as above, but when I added the Layer Mask,

instead of the thumbnail showing up "black" like the two wreaths, it showed up white, and I couldn't therefore

lose the white background.  I've tried everything I can think of....

Could someone explain what I need to do, and/or why it's now not working?

Thanks in advance

Brad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you post an image, including a screenshot of the layers panel so we can see what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines