Cannot open CR2 file [in CS6]

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open CR2 file in Photoshop using bridge I get this message

I updated the whole suite including the camera raw

I updated the whole computer which is iMac

and still giving me the same error message.

Which says "Photoshop cannot open this file. If you are attempting to open a raw file from a digital camera, make sure you have the latest Camera Raw update installed via help> updates"

any ideas?

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.09.34 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

First go to the Photoshop menu > About Plugins > Camera Raw  The splash screen should be 9.1.1, the latest for CS6.

Next see if 9.1.1 supports your camera: Cameras supported by Camera Raw

If not, you will need the DNG Converter. Go here for the latest version: Adobe Digital Negative Converter with detailed instructions on how to set it up and use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Canon camera is the CR2 file from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have used Canon GX1 Mark III, today March 3, 2020 I cannot open it. But 2 years ago I can open my CR2 in my CS6. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very old software, perhaps it's too new a camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the DNG Converter to see whether it might be read and converted for RAW use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First go to the Photoshop menu > About Plugins > Camera Raw  The splash screen should be 9.1.1, the latest for CS6.

Next see if 9.1.1 supports your camera: Cameras supported by Camera Raw

If not, you will need the DNG Converter. Go here for the latest version: Adobe Digital Negative Converter with detailed instructions on how to set it up and use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I have the same problem as the one above (original post). I have upgraded to 9.1.1, and my camera is Canon EOS 700D, which is supported by 9.1.1.

Can you please help ? I am stuck and have nowhere to find a proper answer. Tell me if there is any further detail needed to get it sorted.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. Was able to troubleshoot. I had installed the CameraRaw 9.1.1, but i then realised it didn't work when troubleshooting, it was still showing 7.0 within Photoshop (despite installation showed as successful). I think it's because Photoshop was *not* closed when I installed camera Raw the first time. Trie again with CS closed, and voilà...

Thanks a ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines