• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 save option grayed out

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having a problem when trying to save a file and not having the option to do so? I typically periodically save using keyboard shortcuts and realized yesterday that they had stopped working at some point during my workflow. I initially realized the shortcuts were buggy when my command-z shortcut wouldn't work. I went to the file menu and the option to save the file is grayed out. The undo option is grayed out as well. I tried quitting and it asked if I wanted to save my file before quitting and of course said yes but it wouldn't let me save it. It said it couldn't but gave no clue as to why.

I was able to not lose all my work by exporting an IDML file, restarting InDesign, and converting the IDML then saving. Restarting seemed to fix the issue but shortly into working again I had the same problem. Today I have had the issue again. The only way I can "save" and not lose my work is to follow this process and I hope I can go more than a few minutes without it giving me trouble. Thankfully all of my links from Illustrator were not compromised because that's where I spent most of my time working before realizing nothing in ID would save.

There have been some weird buggy things in InDesign CC 2017 that aren't as critical but are slowing down my workflow such as my stroke defaulting to the hash stroke option and anytime I try to apply color to any shape or stroke the swatch is at 0% opacity and I have to manually adjust it to 100%. I've tried resetting my workspace and viewed settings within the settings menu options but nothing seems to give me a clue as to how to fix it or why it's doing that in the first place. I've never experienced this being a default setting or had to troubleshoot this sort of thing so if I am missing something I'd love tips on fixing it.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Michael! That's exactly what I did. I haven't lost any work thanks to exporting an IDML (I took screenshots before I tried anything else, just in case) but I'm still having the issue. I'm going to see how ID responds today. Restarting ID helped fix the issue but it only helped for a few minutes. It's time consuming and annoying but the most important thing is that I haven't lost any work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I also discovered it when command z stopped working. Any idea on what's happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug that for some reason is affecting all indesign versions.

So annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>affecting all indesign versions

Completely untrue. It's a rare event. It's never happened to me in InDesign and I've been using it since it's very first version in 1999.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is not a rare event, Steve. I installed an earlier version of the software and thought it was resolved - but then the save option became greyed out so it is obviously not bound to a single version of the software. I don't particularly care to know about your history with indesign. I installed the pre release and what do you know, problem gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines