Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing photos

Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently attended a conference in which Nikon had a loaner program.  I formatted my SD cards in camera (my camera Nikon D600) prior to shooting.  I used to other bodies for the duration of the conference but never re-formatted the cards as I wanted to see the comparison between all the bodies.  When trying to import photos, it's not letting me import the photos from the other two bodies, only my 600.  How can I get it to import all photos as there are a mix of photos from all 3 bodies on a total of 4 different SD cards.  TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answers, only questions for you-

Is you Lightroom version compatible with the NEF files from the "two other bodies"?

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Can you 'view' the files from the "two other bodies" in a file browser? (Finder/File Explorer)

If the SD card shows as an Import source 'Drive' in Lightroom, can you expand or open any sub-folders that the other cameras may have created?

(I have no experience using one card in multiple cameras)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to view the files outside LR. When I shot I set the camera to take a raw photo and a jpeg photo. I’m able to view the jpegs but not the raw.

My LR says it’s the most updated version and when I shoot with my camera I normally shoot raw and have no problems importing.

And I have expanded the subfolders and it will show that there are images but it will only tell me “preview not available“. I will still choose to import but once the import is done it will say photos not compatible or something similar and will say no photos in this import.

Ive never experienced this problem before so I’m baffled....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LR says it’s the most updated version

So what version is that?

Go to Menu: Help > System Info, and report the number that is reported in the top line of the report box.

And you have not reported the exact camera models of the other two test "bodies".

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version: 5.7.1

I shoot raw with my d600 all the time and I have no trouble importing photos.  The other two bodies I used were the d500 and the d850.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you have used some version of Nikon software to transfer or edit these files before Lightroom touches them? This could cause the symptoms you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5.7.1 is definitely not the latest version. It has been out of production for several years. That version does support your D600, but the D850 was not supported until version 6.13, the D500 Lightroom 6 .5. Your simplest solution for now would be to download the free DNG converter and use it to create DNG copies of the NEF files that can be opened with the version of Lightroom that you are now using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give this a try, thank you for your help and advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashiley1214  wrote

When trying to import photos, it's not letting me import the photos from the other two bodies, only my 600.  How can I get it to import all photos as there are a mix of photos from all 3 bodies on a total of 4 different SD cards.  TIA

Describe this in detail. Exactly what happens when it doesn't let you import? What is the complete exact word-for-word error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the SD card to import, it will show the file but says "Preview unavailable for this file".  The files are still checked so I ask to import them but once the import is done it will say "Some import operations were not performed. The files are not recognized by the raw format support in lightroom." I have the option to check for updates but my software is up to date.  Version 5.7.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashiley1214  wrote

When I open the SD card to import, it will show the file but says "Preview unavailable for this file".  The files are still checked so I ask to import them but once the import is done it will say "Some import operations were not performed. The files are not recognized by the raw format support in lightroom." I have the option to check for updates but my software is up to date.  Version 5.7.1

This does not answer my question. My question is: "Is it possible that you have used some version of Nikon software to transfer or edit these files before Lightroom touches them?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have not used any other software before lightroom touches them.  They go straight from the camera to lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just in case you want to go the DNG route, here's where you can download the converter:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh

And here's a short video demonstrating how to use the converter:

Camera Raw: How to use Adobe DNG Converter - YouTube

Don't let all the different versions confuse you. Unless you are running an older Mac OS, just download latest version of the DNG converter. It will support the most cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5.7.1 WAS the last update for Lightroom 5. There were no more updates for Lightroom 5. You have an updated version of Lightroom 5. The only way you can update that version is to UPGRADE it to a newer version, and that requires purchasing Lightroom 6. Lightroom 6 is no last standalone version of Lightroom available from Adobe, and the last update has been released. It will no longer be updated. If you purchase Lightroom 6, and then download the 6.14 update, you will have purchased the last and final update for that version. The only other alternative would be to subscribe to the Creative Cloud photography package which includes Lightroom and Photoshop, and in the US this introduction cost is $9.99/month.

If none of those options are appealing to you, then the other choice would be to download the free DNG converter to convert the NEF files to the DNG format, which could then be opened with the Lightroom 5.7.1 which you are now using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

Lightroom 5.7.1 WAS the last update for Lightroom 5. There were no more updates for Lightroom 5. You have an updated version of Lightroom 5. The only way you can update that version is to UPGRADE it to a newer version, and that requires purchasing Lightroom 6. Lightroom 6 is no last standalone version of Lightroom available from Adobe, and the last update has been released. It will no longer be updated. If you purchase Lightroom 6, and then download the 6.14 update, you will have purchased the last and final update for that version. The only other alternative would be to subscribe to the Creative Cloud photography package which includes Lightroom and Photoshop, and in the US this introduction cost is $9.99/month.

If none of those options are appealing to you, then the other choice would be to download the free DNG converter to convert the NEF files to the DNG format, which could then be opened with the Lightroom 5.7.1 which you are now using.

Just pointing out ... none of this will work if the files have been "corrupted" by some old version of Nikon software ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the OP was able to import images from the one camera. The other two cameras aren't supported by the version of Lightroom being run. If the OP was able to import images from the one camera that IS supported, why would you expect images from the other two cameras to be corrupted? Of course, you are right. But it is more likely that the problem is that the images simply aren't supported by the version of Lightroom being used. Don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you just 'copy as DNG' in the import window?

Or maybe do one at a time - meaning import each camera make separately, so you will import three times. Try that, if it is any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That only works if Lightroom supports the original raw files, and the user wants to convert to DNG anyway. If Lightroom doesn't support the original raw file then it's necessary to use the standalone DNG converter first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines