• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Google "View Image" Button is Gone

Advocate ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn’t there a “View Image” button on Google, anymore?

At first, we thought something wasn’t working, this week. The View Image was a cool Google feature, which would often provide a reasonably sized image. That had been a great research tool for us. It was faster than going to the Googled web page and looking all over the place for what appeared in a Google search. (Sometimes the Google image doesn’t appear at all).

But, not everyone thinks like we do. For some people, that feature was means of making it a little easier to steal images.

Getty Images, the huge stock imagery library (which has tens of thousands of photos we created), complained to the European Union’s antitrust commission. It has been reported that Google settled with Getty over their complaint. And, hence, the “View Image” feature is gone.

We will miss that feature, but strongly support justice for the intellectual property of creative professionals.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For readers of the forum is the issue of intellectual property a concern?

If so, is the removal of that Google button a help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get as right-click menu on all Google image searches I've tried:

images.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

This is what I get as right-click menu on all Google image searches I've tried:

Could that be a Windows function rather than a Google feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its a function of the browser but a lot of sites disable right-click as a BS way to stop poeple downloading their images... any coder | hacker knows how to get around it (if fact you can Google it )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

its a function of the browser…

Thank you.

If Getty Images wants to champion this project, they're going to have to address the bigger feast one bite at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

any coder | hacker knows how to get around it

Without a doubt, there are ways to lock images on websites. But there are ways to get some ways to copy low resolution images and clean them up, if you so desire. And, yes, clever hackers have other ways of handling it.

But, isn't it helpful to takeaway tools which say, "Go ahead. Do something illegal."?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whatever... my daughters school computer won't let the kids look up the word "therapist" because some pluck a duck didn't think things through before he jumped on the censorship bandwagon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whatever...

So you are in favor of removing tools which encourage your average, everyday Internet user to steal images (sometimes when they don't even understand that they're doing something wrong)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My own photographs are reproduced around the world, print and web. I do occasionally see my images reproduced without proper credit. So let me just be clear that I'm fully aware of the problem.

In some cases I drop them an email explaining that it would be nice if they included a credit. But it depends on usage.

My main concern is my professional reputation. To that end, it's important that the work is seen. Anything that makes it difficult for people to see my work properly - I'm against that on principle. I want to make it accessible, and "View Image" does just that. So I don't want that function removed.

Now, if someone tried to profit, commercially, on my work - that's a different story. But that's usually not the case. In any case web publishing isn't a direct income source for me - but indirectly it could be, simply by being noticed.

Yes, for the record, I'm very much against stealing and copyright infringement. But it's not all black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, if someone tried to profit, commercially, on my work - that's a different story.

It's kind of you to offer your images for people to use for personal or non-profit purposes. Janet & I feel that way too. We have done our share of pro bono work. It's often very rewarding in itself.

It is also difficult to determine what a "for profit" use might be.

By way of example: Getty has bunches of images we have done of family activities (we don't get royalties). Is it okay if a real estate developer uses one of those images to promote a multi-million dollar project they are promoting? The developer isn't selling the image but they have real estate to sell and our image is helping them make that sale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not pro bono. It's in my own interest that my work is spread and shared, and seen by as many as possible, in the best possible quality.

As long as they don't try to profit from it, or change it so that it hurts my reputation. Then I put my foot down.

Traditional copyright laws don't really work well on the internet because it's based on unique physical objects. That's why Creative Commons licensing is becoming more widespread. It just works better. The scientific community in particular works very actively for this.

Creative Commons does not mean "free use" as many mistakenly believe. You get to determine the level of protection, right up to the standard copyright protection. The advantage is that you can release specific types of use as you see fit, but you always retain authorship. That's never in question..

Sharing may be your best and most effective business model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not pro bono. It's in my own interest that my work is spread and shared, and seen by as many as possible, in the best possible quality.

The credit component must be what works for you?

Some publishers have been good enough to use our website in our credit line. I cannot say that any of it has generated any significant income for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, this all depends on the type of work, and how you generate income from it. I'm on a fixed salary, so there's no direct economic impact.

But the point I'm trying to make here is that this isn't black and white. The internet changed a lot of rules. The best thing to do, IMO, is to to try to work it to your advantage. Be flexible.

And it's not entirely true that I have no economic impact from internet sharing. I do, it's job security, it's my chances of getting a new job if I should lose this one. My reputation is all I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, this all depends on the type of work, and how you generate income from it. I'm on a fixed salary, so there's no direct economic impact.

Now this is making good business sense.

Your approach is wise.

Thank you for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in closing, it should also be said that my employer has similar interests. I work at an art museum, and funding is very much a result of how we "project ourselves" into society in general. The more we play a part, the more money we get, so to speak. But we also need to protect the artist's copyrights. So it's a narrow path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in closing, it should also be said that my employer has similar interests. I work at an art museum, and funding is very much a result of how we "project ourselves" into society in general. The more we play a part, the more money we get, so to speak. But we also need to protect the artist's copyrights. So it's a narrow path.

Like many of our fellow ACPs, we are in public higher education. That's an environment where credentials can make a positive statement.

It's more a case of us saying, "We collaborated on…" which helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

whatever...

So you are in favor of removing tools which encourage your average, everyday Internet user to steal images (sometimes when they don't even understand that they're doing something wrong)?

Encourage?  Really?  The ability to view the full size image encourages people to steal?  You get a demerit and have to stay after school.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutterfish  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee   wrote

Encourage?  Really?

Yep. We have developed some curriculum tracks for higher education institutions which want to reach out to specific community groups.

It is been found that if software developers provide clear understandable, discoverable tools, those vertical market groups will use them as well as teach them to others. Such groups include various groups from seniors to teachers.

It's easy for those of us who know their way around media technologies to think everyone is as well-versed in finding ways to get things done as ourselves. But, that's not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. We have developed some curriculum tracks for higher education institutions which want to reach out to specific community groups.

It is been found that if software developers provide clear understandable, discoverable tools, those vertical market groups will use them as well as teach them to others. Such groups include various groups from seniors to teachers.

It's easy for those of us who know their way around media technologies to think everyone is as well-versed in finding ways to get things done as ourselves. But, that's not the case.

You've now got three demerits and a weeks detention...keep it up.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutterfish  wrote

keep it up.

Absolutely.

Hopefully, all Adobe Community Professionals strive to have constructive conversations which provide aded value to Adobe's subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutterfish   wrote

keep it up.

Absolutely.

Hopefully, all Adobe Community Professionals strive to have constructive conversations which provide aded value to Adobe's subscribers.

How do you have a constructive conversation with someone who believes the existence of a legitimate tool "encourages" crime?  Using your own logic I could argue the existence of knives "encourages" stabbings.   Using your logic i could argue the existence of the internet itself encourages digital piracy and therefore terminating it would be understandable and justified.

Then you try to provide evidence for your claim by pointing out that human beings instinctively and without prompting teach each other to use tools?

That's your proof that Googles "View Image" button "encourages" intellectual property theft?  Huh?

I understand why Google removed the button.  Some people were using the "tool" to steal and Google weighed their cost to benefit ratio of fighting the Getty Foundation in court and decided it wasn't worth it.  And unfortunately because of the nefarious actions of that minority the majority loses the practical convenience the tool provided.

But your claim that the very existence of the tool "encouraged" thievery is, forgive me for saying so, foolish.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a helpful link from The Verge about an alliance Getty and Google has announced this month:

Google will make copyright disclaimers more prominent in image search - The Verge

As noted there, the Getty compliant included issues with “high-resolution, copyrighted content,” and “promoting piracy resulting in widespread copyright infringement.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a helpful link from The Verge about an alliance Getty and Google has announced this month:

Google will make copyright disclaimers more prominent in image search - The Verge

As noted there, the Getty compliant included issues with “high-resolution, copyrighted content,” and “promoting piracy resulting in widespread copyright infringement.”

I was not commenting on THEIR arguments.  I was commenting on YOURS.  But I can see I'm wasting my time.  You believe the View Image button was encouraging people to steal because primates instinctively teach each other to use tools.  Got it. Thanks. Have a nice day.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the triumphs which came out of this conflict is that Google and Getty got into a multiyear global licensing partnership.

Technology leaders have something to teach politicians.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines