• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to insert large logos/pictures and resize down without pixelation?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently trying to design the artwork for a billboard which they require to be • Size: 208 pixels high x 704 pixels wide • Color Mode: RGB • Resolution: 72 ppi .

I have tried insert my logo and pictures that are at 3000+ pixels and once I resize I receive pixelated images. I have tried bicubic and bicubic sharper with no resolution. Attached is a screenshot of what is going on. Would appreciate any insight, ThanksScreen Shot 2018-02-24 at 5.42.29 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This png you posted look like only part of you logo and the png is 796px by 636 nearly 4 times wider then your resized logo a blow up that has pixilated.  A billboard 208 pixels high x 704 pixels wide How big are you going to paint in these pixels so the image will be billboard size.  Where are you coming from are you a troll?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would need more information:

- is this meant for a web banner (not a billboard-->print)?

- are you allowed to use SVG for the web banner?

If you are required to deliver a 208x704px web banner or graphic, and your logo is scaled down to that bitmap size, it is obviously going to look pixellated. That is the nature of the beast: low resolution bitmap --> low resolution art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is meant to be on a digital billboard and that is the file size they are requiring me to deliver. They have done a previous billboard for us but now want to charge  for the revision and change so I thought i would save and do it myself. They only accept jpg, bmp, png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 208px x 704px is an image with a Aspect Ratio 13:44  narrow and tall. 208x704px not many.  What is a digital billboard is 208x704 all the pixels the billboard displays. here is what 208px by 704px displays on your digitals display,

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

208 is the height displaying the wide billboard shape as attached, keep in mind that is a screenshot not the exported fileScreen Shot 2018-02-25 at 2.30.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not answer What is a digital billboard is 208x704 all the pixels the billboard displays. What physical size is it.

You started statin. 704x208 72DPI the would make your billboad  9.778" by 2.889" that is a very small billboard.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, of course! DIGITAL SIGNAGE!

Like this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoGgoUC5sZrqkp00wED1-y07TxpyMv5TljBK1JUMsDOrTZSjja

In that case a couple of tips:

• PPI/DPI is COMPLETELY irrelevant. You work at the sign's native resolution, which would be 704px width and 208px height. Create your Photoshop document at that resolution. The 72ppi is really meaningless, but since they want a 72ppi setting, just give them what they want - so select 72ppi when creating your new document. The 704x208px setting is ESSENTIAL, though. Keep that.
  • This is a very low resolution to work at, but that isn't very important, since these billboards will be viewed for at most 1-2 seconds, and at distances of 400-600 feet. It is also the nature of the technology: a group of 4 large LED lights form "coloured pixels" - 2xred, 1xgreen, and 1xblue.

Like this:

1ee04ced9875f47a336a72c596e0f989.jpg

This results in a VERY low resolution billboard, but it is quite effective, and very bright.

Simply stated, you CANNOT retain the same sharpness as your original artwork/logo. You MUST scale it down into that tiny photoshop image, and you MUST adjust it manually if details are too subtle and lines too thin.

You can adjust the sharpness by applying a sharpness filter. You can create more contrast with more obvious contrast-rich colours. You SHOULD NOT use a white background - too bright, and often not allowed.

And make sure to "test" your sign design by placing it in a dummy sign/image:

Here is one:

billboard-test.png

Just open this in Photoshop, then copy and place your finished sign image and use free transform to fit in into the grey area. Finally, set the layer blend mode to "Overlay". This will give you an indication whether things are too small or not.

This should help you on your way. Again, you MUST design your billboard design in a 704px width and 208px height Photoshop document. No way around that. It's the PHYSICAL resolution limit of that digital billboard.

Good luck! When you send your image to them, make sure to test it on a test digital billboard first. The above dummy image is only for rough testing and get an overall feel of the end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to emphasize, after all these good things you need to do, what you DON'T do is zoom in to an image (any image) and complain it is pixellated. You zoom in to see the pixels. That's what are always there, that's why we zoom in, to see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In other words the digital billbord resolution is much lower the 72DPI  it  only displays 704x208 pixel in a very large area.  Its pixels are more like 72 pixels per yard the display about  30'x9'

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try making layer of logo a smart object (right click on layer, convert to smart object). It will save the size inside, and you can resize it Shift+T without pixelation in the main file. Any time you can flatten it, and as I remember it may save the vision of pixels same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines