Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open Photoshop

I open an image 8x10 inches resolution 76

I create a text layer.

The usual routine.

However recently if I choose for example Times New Roman (any font actually) at 14 pt is it so tiny the text is unreadable.

To view the text I need to increase the text to 116 pt for the words look normal.

Under Windows/ workspace I reset 'essentials' and also did a 'new' . This action did not improve the situation.

How to I regain the use of the text feature?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

At what zoom level are you viewing the the 14pt font.   If you have a small 8"x10" 76dpi in on screen its 14pt text may look good if you havae a large  8"x10" 300Dpi image on screen its 14pt text may not look good because the image is being quickly scale way down in size to fit one you display and text does not look good quickly scaled down in size.  Are you sure the image where the text looks bad   is a small 76dpi image?  A  8"x10" 76 DPI image is an image 608x760px and A  8"x10" 300 DPI image

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At what zoom level are you viewing the the 14pt font.   If you have a small 8"x10" 76dpi in on screen its 14pt text may look good if you havae a large  8"x10" 300Dpi image on screen its 14pt text may not look good because the image is being quickly scale way down in size to fit one you display and text does not look good quickly scaled down in size.  Are you sure the image where the text looks bad   is a small 76dpi image?  A  8"x10" 76 DPI image is an image 608x760px and A  8"x10" 300 DPI image is an image 2400x3000px the small image would be zoomed up in size to fit on you display  and the large image would be zoomed down is size to fit on  your screen.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point unit is a holdover from typesetting with lead types. It is a physical size measurement, 1/72 of an inch.

That means point size in Photoshop is relative to resolution (ppi).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two photoshop captures.

Be it whatever normal photo even at 72 the text is tiny.

To add text I use SnagIt to capture then use Snagit to add text in the normal fashion.

Prior to whatever I did to make a difficulty for myself for example if I used 72 pt the text would fill the screen.

What I get is a tiny text.

I should be able to fill this photo attached using 14 pt with a few lines to fill the image with text. Even at 72 I can hardly get a good size.

att2.jpg

att22.jpg

Thus I am forced to using Snagit to layout text that I am unable to manage in Photoshop.

Thanks for any response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual size of 72pt text depends on the documents resolution its a relative unit measure like inch in a  document with a 72dpi resolution 72 pixels = 1 inch, in a document with a 300 dpi resolution 300 pixels = 1 inch. Your  Display also has resolution  Your Clipboard supports image and text.  Text is not image data but can also be  rasterized  as image. If you are capturing text with snagit you show text layers in Photoshop I do not understand how you are laying out text with snagit ? text is be added to your document with Photoshop's text tool.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's do some math and see what we get.

In your first screen shot you are

* viewing at 50%

* working with a 180 ppi image

* using 72 point text

* using Times New Roman bold

* working with an image 1080 pixels high

The image is about 540 pixels high

The capital letters in the font are about 14 pixels

So, let's see if this is reasonable.

* The expected image height from 1080 pixels is 1080*50%=540 pixels. So this is as expected.

* For Times-Bold, the height of capitals is about 68% of the font size. So I'm going to assume the same for Times New Roman Bold, though it may actually differ

* So 72 point text is about 49 points high, 49/72 inches.

* The image is 180 ppi. So 49 points is 49/72*180 pixels, about 122 pixels

So, I'd expect 72 point text to be 122 pixels, but it's 14 pixels. If my calculations are correct, this fully supports the original assertion that the font size is not as expected. This is wildly wrong by a factor of 8-9. I too have absolutely no idea why, and I too have no idea what "used Snagit to add text" means. Let's look at how you are doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I am unable to apply text in the usual fashion in Photoshop I take a screen capture of the image with Snagit.

In Snagit Editor I am able to control and manage the text in the expected fashion. Once I have the text positioned I then am able to open the work into Photoshop with the text. Snagit has a button to copy the effort from Snagit back into Photoshop.

In Snagit I easily added (in red) text.  I could not do that in Photoshop because the text would be almost invisible.

att3.jpg

And the Snagit Editor Window

att3b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another attempt to add text with Photoshop. 72pt. Too tiny. I then captured with Snagit ; then added text using Snagit Text Tool

att4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main problem you are have is image size.  If you working on let say your cameras 8 mp images in Photoshop  zoom out so it fits on your display add some layer on top  Target the background layer sele all and Copy your full 8MP image will be copied  to the clipboard none of the pixels in the layers above the background will be copied into the clipboard  you would need to do a copy merge to get then,  Now if you used Snagit.  Snagit would not have access to Photoshop data structures. Its layers.  All snagit could do is grab pixels your Display device driver is displaying  The small resized composite image an application like Photoshop is displaying It would be Image pixels not Text. Not a high resolition image containg text.

What I do not uderstand  is why you wrote  "Because I am unable to apply text in the usual fashion in Photoshop " Why can't you?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your strategy is fine for web graphics, bad for print. It seems to me something is wrong - but why don't you just adjust for it until the cause is found?  Multiply the expected size by 8 to start with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check out my analysis, JJMack? All looks correct except the text size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not.   I did not see that they had posted any actual image to analyze.  I just remember using snagit many years ago I could not see how they could be using snagit to enter text into Photoshop.  Frankly I do not understand what they are doing. What a read did not seem possible.   My reading skills are not the best though could follow what they wrote. All I seem to remember is that Snagit grabs pixels from the display image area. An rgb image with the Display color values. They would most likely also have some color issues.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screen shots reply 3.  My analysis reply 5.  I can’t explain the numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines