• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change my PDF Export settings

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in InDesign CC and I am trying to export a high quality PDF, but it is not letting me change; compatibility, or standard to a high-quality setting. It actually won't let me change anything in the menu that has a drop down. Any suggestions/ideas? Everything is up-to-date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

I had this same problem and I accidentally came up with a solution that worked for me, and it's really simple.

Try clicking and holding the drop-down menu and dragging the mouse to the item you want to select then let go of the mouse button.

I usually click on a drop down menu and then click again on the item I want to select. This normally works, however, in this case there seems to be a glitch that doesn't let you do that.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this help?

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-tools-panels-dont-respond.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it does not help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since @Simulacrum reported having this problem more recently than the original post, I'll go ahead and leave this here. Maybe it will help other people searching for answers as well.

I just encountered the same bug here. None of the drop-down menus in my Export dialog were accepting any changes. The solution that worked for me was to reset InDesign's preferences.

In CC, you can do this by quitting the application and then relaunching it while QUICKLY pressing control + command + shift + option all at once. If you press all four keys as soon as InDesign begins to launch, you should see a dialog box saying "Startup Alert: Delete InDesign Preference files?" Click "Yes," and you'll hopefully have an InDesign that behaves correctly. Good luck.

P.S. You do have to be very quick on the draw. If you don't get the dialog box, just quit and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, for one, would like to see Adobe change away from this 3- or 4-key reset click. It should be simplified to some sort of reset button in preferences, maybe. Don't know why, but on some computers, I have had to try to reset with this keyboard shortcut, and I have tried over and over again, while InDesign doesn't see the reset shortcut, and I wait for it to load and shut down over and over. I wish there was just simply a button to click in preferences when I want to blow prefs!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree!

But I just discovered this a short time ago. The current version of Photoshop CC 2017 already has this. Look at this screen capture:

PhotoshopPrefs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Yeah, when I saw that in Photoshop, it got me to wanting the same thing in InDesign!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue. Resetting preferences or just relaunching ID is only a temporary fix, the issue returns when ID is open for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and I accidentally came up with a solution that worked for me, and it's really simple.

Try clicking and holding the drop-down menu and dragging the mouse to the item you want to select then let go of the mouse button.

I usually click on a drop down menu and then click again on the item I want to select. This normally works, however, in this case there seems to be a glitch that doesn't let you do that.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! That works!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I thought this was just a glitch the other day at work, but then I started having this same fight this morning at home. You saved me from a meltdown!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, tammyfatfish! That works and has saved my sanity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this!!!!! Like an idiot I upgraded indesign and now all i have to do is fix the pixelation issue or revert to the previous indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! It may not be a permanent solution; but it's a perfect workaround and doesn't really add any time to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this worked. Thank god for Google - this is just sloppy, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I had this same problem. I could change settings yesterday, but not today. Turned out I was using the mouse pad on the mac, and now I'm using a mac external mouse. This works, and it explains everything! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michicurrier and everyone.

I've had this problem on our Mac workstations, but never on our Windows workstations. Doesn't matter whether we're using external mice or built-in trackpads.

Has anyone verified whether it's a Mac-only glitch?

Can you chime in here what platform you used when it happened?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@tammyfatfish this really helped me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines