• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask rubylith is 100% black

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already searched this problem extensively and have found no solution. When masking, when I use \ (backslash) to get a rubylith, instead I get black at 100% opacity. I've had this problem for at least a year, but unable to fix it, I've ignored it until now. I desperately need to have the overlay for some images I'm doing. I have found numerous other posts in the forum about this issue, with several suggestions of how to fix it. The other people have said those suggestions don't work, nor have they worked for me. I followed the  "Troubleshoot GPU problems," also to no avail.

Following are my specs:

• Adobe CC updated 2/26/2018 (today)
  • Adobe Photoshop v. 19.1.1 updated 2/26/2018
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit updated 2/15/2018
  • AMD Ratheon R9 270 GPU, (on Adobe's list of compatible GPU's), driver v. 23.20.15025.1004, updated 2/26/2008

Suggestions I have found and tried to remedy this problem, none of which worked, included the following:

• Update software (Adobe) and drivers
  • Set performance preferences:
    • Set Drawing Mode to "Basic" and restart Photoshop
    • Deselect "Use Graphics Processor" and restart Photoshop
    • Set cache levels to 4 (they already were)
    • Set graphics card to high performance (it already was)

The last two steps recommended in GPU troubleshooting are to disable the graphics card, which I won't do, or replace the graphics card, which I also won't do. No other programs on my computer have issues with my graphics card. I use numerous other graphics-intensive programs, and I have had no other issues except for that rubylith. Also, I am not the only person who has this 100% black overlay in masks.

There is an issue that is not GPU-specific. Please advise how to fix this bug.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Have you checked the "Layer Mask Display Options" by left-clicking on the Mask thumbnail, choosing Mask Options in the Context menu, and seeing what they look like?

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 5.31.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the "Layer Mask Display Options" by left-clicking on the Mask thumbnail, choosing Mask Options in the Context menu, and seeing what they look like?

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 5.31.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my, I am such a dork! I thought I knew everything there was to know about PS!

I was checking quick mask options... [sigh].

THANK YOU!!! I have puzzled over this for a year, no joke! Thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem, Even the best drivers get stuck in the mud. Glad that worked for you.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines