• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I tell Lightroom Classic where to store photos as I import them?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry for such a basic question, But I simply cannot find a way to do this.  I bought an external hard drive to store my photos.  I was using Lightroom CC because I wasn't aware that I had two options.  The cloud storage of CC is useless to me, as I wanted to keep everything on my external hard drive.

The problem is that I easily found out how to direst Lightroom CC to save the imported RAW files exactly where I wanted them.  However, in Lightroom Classic CC, I cannot find anything like this.  Plus, I have not been able to find it in any of my searches.

I feel like this is a very basic question, with a very basic answer, but I just can't find the solution.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Insert your camera card into your computer.

Open Lr.

Go to the Library module.

Click on Import the button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Work your way from upper left to bottom right in the window.

Choose the source where your new images are.

Top center, choose what you want to do with the new images.

Move to the top right corner and click on the TO to choose your desired location to put the files.

Below that are more options that can be done along with importing, like re-naming etc.

At t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert your camera card into your computer.

Open Lr.

Go to the Library module.

Click on Import the button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Work your way from upper left to bottom right in the window.

Choose the source where your new images are.

Top center, choose what you want to do with the new images.

Move to the top right corner and click on the TO to choose your desired location to put the files.

Below that are more options that can be done along with importing, like re-naming etc.

At the bottom RH corner you should see the folder listed where you are putting them.

Hope this works for you.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this will help.  I was hoping for a way to set something up as a default, but if it will always ask me where I want to store them, then I think that works about the same.  When I was using regular Lightroom CC, it just automatically made a new folder on my HD.  I had to delete it and then change the destination path for them.

Thank you for this.  If I screw it up when I am trying to import more photos later this week, I'll be back to bother you again.

What makes me sad is that all of the work I did in Lightroom CC doesn't transfer over to Lightroom Classic, so I need to remember that they are over there.  Plus I need to relearn how to do things, as the interface is different, and there seem to be a lot more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC is the same as the "old" Lightroom CC. The options are basically the same, except for the new features that have been added. Are you really comparing the new cloud-based Lightroom CC? Now that interface is definitely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  I only got Lightroom for the first time about a month ago.  I wasn't even aware at the time that there was Classic and a cloud based one that downloaded.  I just started working in the one that automatically installed, and got confused when every tutorial I was trying to watch had a completely different interface.  That meant that I just taught myself as many basics as I could.

Then, when I realized there was a different one that was probably better suited to my needs, and was actually on my PC somewhere, I launched that program.  It is definitely different, but it looks a lot like all of the videos that I tried to watch before.

I won't be doing a ton of in-depth things, so I doubt that I will need too much help that isn't available in the tutorials.  I just need to go and watch them again now that I have the right program to follow along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So which version are you using? Lightroom Classic CC or Lightroom CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My plan is to use Lightroom Classic CC moving forward.  It looks like it has better options.  I just need to figure out how it all works.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find this video tutorial helpful:

Lightroom CC - Importing Images From a Camera - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this video really helped also.  I honestly thought that I needed to change my settings before importing.  I think that this pretty much takes care of what I needed to get my files exactly where I wanted them.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines