• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop lagging and freezing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is brand new, runs on Windows 10, has 16GB memory etc. When I downloaded the trial version of PS it worked perfectly, now that I've downloaded the full version it lags horribly and keeps freezing when I zoom, rotate or try to change from brush to eraser.

It's not the computer, everything else runs fine. And it's not my graphics tablet or driver as I've tried with a mouse and the trackpad.

I've been through all the troubleshooting suggestions, uninstalled, reinstalled, turning it off and on again, had nothing else running, designated 75% of the memory usage to PS, made sure it's using the graphics processor and running openCL etc.

It's driving me completely mad and I really need it to work smoothly for upcoming deadlines, has anyone had similar issues or might know something I haven't tried yet...?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

What version did you download as a trial? And what version (if not the same) did you download in the subscription version? If you downloaded a later version, try going back to the previous version and see if you are still having the same issues. It they are different versions, then you might be finding some glitches that need to be woken out.

Don't give up! There are a lot of people here willing to help.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have resolved the issue by downloading an earlier version of Photoshop if anyone else needs this. With no help from Adobe support, very disappointed in their customer service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jenniferc22525851  wrote

When I downloaded the trial version of PS it worked perfectly, now that I've downloaded the full version

The trial version is the full version.  The only thing that makes it not a trial is signing in to your account if CC or entering your serial number if CS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version did you download as a trial? And what version (if not the same) did you download in the subscription version? If you downloaded a later version, try going back to the previous version and see if you are still having the same issues. It they are different versions, then you might be finding some glitches that need to be woken out.

Don't give up! There are a lot of people here willing to help.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michelle! This actually fixed my problem. I just downloaded an older version and it works perfectly fine now. Really appreciate your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! thanks for letting me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to say let us know if you have any other issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having major lagging issues with my Photoshop, as well. I have a new computer with new setups and installs on my work desktop. Here is a brief rundown of my computer specs:

System Model:  Dell Precision Tower 5810

Bios:  A24 (current)

Memory:  16GB

Hard Drive:  240 GB SSD

Peripheral(s):  Cintiq 22HD

I mainly use Photoshop on my Wacom Cintiq22 HD, to sketch with my Wacom pen. Almost every time I type in key commands, on my keyboard, like erase, undo, deselect, etc.. Photoshop just lags like crazy. Some lags are longer then others. I am using Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 from my workplace's computer so I am not sure if loading an older version of Adobe is an option. Is there another option to stopping the lagging issue besides loading a previous version of the Adobe Suite?

**Update**

My IT guy tried to load my computer with a previous version and I am still having lagging issues. I am totally lost!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunatly this happens to me to on a new laptop

ps is slower then on my 6 years old mac... itried everything adobe support ...lenovo support

the computer is not the issue it works fine

adobe says it is

i as well tried an older version but it didnt help

i have a 4 k monitor ...and a nivida gtx 50

if i disable the card and scale down ,my resolution

ps has the performance i´m used to from my 6 years old mac ...

but this cant be it

graphic card iis working fine

i already exchanged the wohle laptop as it is still in trail period

so if someon e has an idea

i really high appriciate some help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ocsah,

What are your PS preferences set to as far as Scratch disk? How much ram and hard disk space on your new computer vs. the old one? What version of PS are your running? How much ram do you have allocated on your new machine?

You shouldn't have to decrease your resolution to work on an image. If you are doing that and it's working fine, then somehow PS isn't getting the support it needs to run.

Let us know what your system and preferences are so we be more effective at helping you.

Thanks,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Have you checked to see if their are new drivers for your Cintiq? Do you know if your Cintiq is compatible with your Dell's operating system? If you have been using this for a while, have you upgraded or changed anything before it started lagging?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had problems with Photoshop for a very long time. I was updating Photoshop everytime to the newest version and everything. When I used the scrubby zoom, or undo, it used to lag everytime. I found a solution which worked for me. I reset user preferences on quit at first. Then, I disabled my rulers. When the rulers were off, and there were no guides in use, Photoshop worked like a charm. Seriously, try switching off your rulers. Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's good to hear that you've solved your problem, @jenniferc22525851. But would love to give a few tips for everyone who faces the same issue.

Adobe Photoshop might become slow due to a multitude of factors. And I've noticed that most people complain about this when they upgrade Photoshop to the latest version on the first day of release.

However, updating it a month or two after the release can solve your problem. Because the new version occasionally contains bugs and other things I'm unfamiliar with. LOL!

There are sometimes slight lags, and other times you can't even select or move an object.

So, here are some techniques for increasing the speed of Adobe Photoshop CC 2022 or any other version.

1. Reduce the History States and Increase the Cache Levels;
  2. Reset Preferences;
  3. Restart Photoshop;
  4. Set the task priority to High;
  5. Reduce the number of presets and actions;
  6. Might be caused by External Monitor if your system can’t handle it;
  7. Not enough RAM;
  8. Uninstall unnecessary apps;
  9. Maximize the Memory limit of Adobe Photoshop;
  10. Not having an external Graphic Card.

I would recommend you to check out this resource for more details on how you can speed up Photoshop and what causes lagging.

Working with large files might potentially cause the program to slow down. So, if you think you’ve got a low-end PC or Laptop then use the older version of Photoshop. That’s the ultimate solution if you frequently face lagging or not responding thing.

I might be wrong but as far as I can remember Photoshop CC 2019, Photoshop CS5, or Adobe Photoshop 7 run comparably well with low-end PC.

Thanks for checking this out. Hope you find it helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines