• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 Acting Like it's InDesign CS4?

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made an InDesign document using InDesign CS6. I've read up trying to find a fix to my poblem, but to no avail, so here I am. I saved the document in InDesign CS6, and I have no other version downloaded. There is no "lock file" or anything like that. So, when I open-- or, rather, try to open-- the document an error occors telling me that I am using a newer version of InDesign than I have downloaded (Once again, I have saved the document with CS6, and I am using CS6) which makes no sense. Is there something very obvious that I'm missing, or is my file dead? One thing I tried that worked is I checked the file's properties and I can easily open older versions of the exact same document with ease, but the version of the document that I have simply won't open (and I can't exactly download CS6 again, because I already have CS6 downloaded) All other files open without hassle. I don't get it. It's just this one document. If you need I can put the image of the error here.

Thanks,

Kolby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Windows 10. (OS Build: 10586.912, if you for some reason need that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What EXACTLY is the message you get? A screenshot will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the document has somehow become corrupt. You could check out this link: Troubleshoot damaged InDesign documents but you may not get much help since, as you say, you can't even open it. However, since you said that you have an earlier version of it my suggestion would be to use that as the basis to "fix" this file. The first step I would do with the earlier version is to export it as an IDML file and then reopen it in your version of InDesign. This process can clear out any inherent corruption that may already be in the file and should leave with you a cleaner document with which to do your recreation. Then I would do whatever updating to this file that was done to produce the version that has corrupted. Hopefully, the cleaning you did with the IDML will prevent this one from corrupting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi kolbywithak ,

check the version of the document without open it with a script by Jongware:

[Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

Then report back what you have found before doing anything else.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines