Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help!!! Lr moved from one PC to Another PC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have recently got a new PC and want to move Lr from my old PC to the new one which has much better spec's than the old one.

So I followed directions on how to do this via Hard drive....I've then put Lr back into the same folder from the old to the new but now it asks my how do I want to open LR and lists a range of apps.

Am I right in thinking that Lr needs a Adobe app to be able to open Lr as the new PC doesn't have any Adobe apps installed on it.

If I am on the right track which Adobe app do I install as its all got a little complicated now.

Many thanks......

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy the program folder from the old computer to the new one? That won't work.

You have to install the program using a DVD or an installer that you download from Adobe.

Do you have a DVD? Which version of Lightroom do you have?

What you do need to copy from the old computer is the folder that contains your Lightroom catalog, as well as your images.

See https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Per Berntsen for your reply and the link.

Sorry for my late reply.

I'd made amess I think.........

I have Lightroom 5 and it was a code no DVD I got.

I've now reinstalled Lr again but from the beginning on my new PC as I got totally lost because I didn't do it right the first time.

So my 1st catalogue is still on the old PC.

Now I have Lr installed on the new PC can I open my original 1st catalogue in the new installed Lr on the new PC??

Is it good to have 2-3 Catalogues?

Id prefer just the one tobe honest, but I couldn't wait to get going once Id install Lr so I do have some work already in Lr.

All the photos are in my External Hard Drive and I back up onto another external Hard Drive.

Hope this isn't too confusing for a reply, Please can anyone tell me how to open an existing Catalogue in Lr which is on the old PC.

Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vic_76  schrieb

I've now reinstalled Lr again but from the beginning on my new PC as I got totally lost because I didn't do it right the first time.

So my 1st catalogue is still on the old PC.

Now I have Lr installed on the new PC can I open my original 1st catalogue in the new installed Lr on the new PC??

Yes. Copy the .lrcat file from your old PC to the new one and open it in LR. The only point that you have to take a look is, that the external hard disk with your photos is connected under the same name or drive letter.

Vic_76  schrieb

Is it good to have 2-3 Catalogues?

Yes and No. There are a lot of pros and cons.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-multiple-catalogs/

Axel

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response Axel, you have been very helpful!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines