• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tracing the path of cardiods...? (with video example)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends,

So I have some shapes parented to each other and animated, and there is a shape layer that animates depending on the rotation parameters of the parents rotation. I have the echo effect applied to this target shape layer which creates interesting cardiod "paths"

My question is; how do I trace the path of the cardiod with a solid, unbroken line, instead of the "dotted" line that I am creating with the echo effect? Thanks!

example on Vimeo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

I suggest you use the Effect>Generate>Write-on to create the line instead of Echo or a Particle System.

Apply this Expression to Write-on's Brush Position prop -

-----------------------------------------------------

c=thisComp.layer("Child_Layer");

c.toComp(c.anchorPoint)

Ensure you change the layer name in line 1, above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I always use a particle generator for these kinds of effects; in my case Particular. But CC Particle Systems II works as well, albeit not as pretty 🙂

Look at the screenshot here, it's an example with keyframed motion, but you can add an expression to the Producer's 'Position' parameter to connect it to the moving shape layer in your animation.

Play around with the parameters; 'longevity' creates a longer trace, 'opacity map' gives it a nice fade at the end of the trace.

Wim

screenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Wim! I understood what you mean up to a point... I got the particle generator to trace along an animated path, but I run into trouble when I want it to move along the cardioid path, because the shape (tiny circle) that is the beginning tracer for the cardiod doesn't actually change any position parameters, since it is just the great great grandchild of one rotating shape layer. The blue dotted line is that shape layer with the echo effect on it for illustration. Could I write an expression to have the particle solid layer trace along the "blue circle" layer, even though the blue circle layer isn't moving? How could I write that expression? Thank you!!!help.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you use the Effect>Generate>Write-on to create the line instead of Echo or a Particle System.

Apply this Expression to Write-on's Brush Position prop -

c=thisComp.layer("Child_Layer");

c.toComp(c.anchorPoint)

Ensure you change the layer name in line 1, above.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines