• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing Image Shows Up As Tiny Square (Not the actual size of the Image) HELP!!!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My canvas is 1200x628 @ 72ppi. When I try placing an image on the canvas (I have tried mutliple sizes of images) and the image shows up as this tiny little square (see screenshot). The image I placed below is 1366x768.... why is it showing up so small? And when I'm trying to transform the image, it is lagging so bad. Someone please help me figure this out. How do I fix the image placing problem and optimize photoshop to not lag so much?

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 6.39.25 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the resolutions of other images? Please post screenshots of the Image Size dialog for both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing that and this happened...

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 8.32.12 AM.png

And then I got this.... How do I fix this?

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 8.32.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What is your primary scratch disk?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 10.46.48 AM.png

Are you are aware you are displaying the image at 2% of size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, thank you. How do I change that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t seem to have placed the image as a Smart Object (File > Place …).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I changed it to 100% but the image I placed still looks like this....

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 8.58.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the resolutions of other images? Please post screenshots of the Image Size dialog for both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch disks - your hard drive is too full. You should have at least 30% free space. This is going to cause Photoshop to crash and continually give you problems.

Open the image you are trying to place and change it to 72 ppi. If the ppi is different for your open document and the image you are trying to place you can run into trouble like you are experiencing. When you change the ppi, don't resize the image.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make space on my hard drive? I know nothing about hard drives... Should I go to an apple store?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the ppi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting Your Photoshop preferences.  Photoshop's resize  placed images to fit canvas does not seem to be scaling the object  corrrectly on your machine.  And Transform should not thake that much time.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried checking and unchecking the "resize image during place" box and it doesn't change anything. Are my preferences wrong?

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 8.28.53 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing yout preference like that will not fix corrupt Preference files. Try resetting your preferencs

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I reset them? What should my preferences be set at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do not worry which way that preferencs get set when you reset your preferences use the buttom you show in your post Bottom Right

Screen+Shot+2018-02-27+at+8.28.53+AM.png

Notice the associated Layer transforms during place where you see the Transform over the object  between document being place into has  a 72doi resolution setting and when the same document 1200x268px  has a 300dpi resolution setting that matches the image being plced in has.  In all casese the object hals all the images pixels. The object placed is the image file. 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on the Magnifier to bring it to 100% of size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Cmd+ and Cmd- to view it at various sizes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funky.png

This is odd. What has changed from image #1 at 2% to image #2 at 100% assuming the same res?

And what are the readings for Scratch Size and Efficiency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the image size. When I opened the image size box before, the image was way bigger which doesn't make any sense because I paced the image from my desktop and that image was 1366x768... I feel so confused.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.28.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the size of the image versus the size of the canvas? Why would the image appear so small on the canvas if it is so much bigger than the canvas size?

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.41.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.40.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines