• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

png-8 greater than 8192 * 8192 in the current version of Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS5, my PNG is 11,000 * 11,000 px and I want to save it with png-8.

If I save it with "For Web ...", then this is only for images with a maximum of 8,192 * 8,192 px. With "Save as ..." the image is saved in the original resolution, but only with png-24 - and thus the file becomes extremely large.

Is there a limitation of 8.192 px for png-8 in the current version of Photoshop?

How else can I compress such a large png (the usual online tools can only compress a maximum of 50 MB and my file is over 70 MB in size)?

Thanks in advance for a helpful answer

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to explain what this is for. If this is for web - why does it need to be so huge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT for web. It is for print.

I have just downloaded Photoshop CC. There I can choose between large, medium and small when saving in png - but the result is identical for a 75 MB file!?!

Even with the free software paint.net you can choose between png-8, -24 and -32 when saving - but it works there! At png-8 is from my picture a only 21 MB file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still don't get it. Why does it specifically have to be PNG-8? That's indexed color (max 256 colors), you're throwing out massive amounts of data. Do you need to reduce file size? Why?

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't make any sense. PNG is a web format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not make sense to YOU, but for me it does! I asked a simple question - and instead of an answer that helps me, I have to justify myself here ???

I thought, Photoshop is mature and the features offered would really work. I have unfortunately deceived .. too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the responder is trying to help you by pointing out that "saving for the web" isn't the correct way to save a file that's NOT going to be viewed on the web.  for print, there are better ways to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not make sense to YOU, but for me it does!

Can you explain why it makes sense for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I offended you, but to find a workaround we really need to know what you need and how to best get there. That's all.

You can't save PNG 8 at those dimensions, as you already found out. That's because PNG is a web format, not intended for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop(!) you can not save it in png-8 - but in other (free!) Programs that works!

I say goodbye. I know now that Photoshop is the wrong program for me ...

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is not the problem – png-8 is not a sensible choice of format for images that are intended for print. (Edit: Though there may be exceptions, for example if the image is intended to look degraded/posterized/dithered/…, but in those cases it might still provide for better predictability and editability to try and achieve the effect in a layered file.)

What is the image’s content?

What is its Color Space?

Does it have transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the "why" aside for the moment, I just checked in Photoshop CC 2014, and there appears to be no such limitation on the Save For Web as PNG-8. I was able to save a carton label well over 12,000 pixels wide as a PNG-8, it was a slow process, and the end result was obviously reduced in color-range, but it worked.

If you are a paid subscriber to PS CC, you can download the older version from your Creative Cloud Desktop app to do what you want. Though I'm sure there are better print-friendly file types and saving methods available in PS that will get you better results...

Open the CC Desktop App

Click the Apps tab
Click the small arrow by Photoshop's button

Choose Other Versions

Click CC 2014 and install it

If you are not a subscriber, the older versions will not be available to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this in CC2017, and the legacy SFW function indeed is limited to a 8192px by 8192px maximum export size - no matter the selected web file format. So I don't understand why you are able to export to a larger document.

The new Export As option doesn't have this limitation, and exports nicely to PNG 8bit. Which wouldn't help the original poster, since he works in the old CS5 version.

And non-aliased PNG output is used in textile printing (decal printing for tees, for example). In which case an 8bit file would make sense to save on file size.

Anyway, I don't use Photoshop for good PNG preparation anyway. I would suggest to the original poster to download Color quantizer . The absolute best tool for PNG optimization, and entirely free. Export as a full 24bit PNG from Photoshop, and use CQ to optimize it. Any number of colours, and full indexed colour palette control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed that the thread was about CS5.

That is weird, but then again, Adobe does some weird things from time to time with removal and reintroduction of features.

Maybe it was something that was taken out after CS5, but reintroduced after CC2014. Maybe it's because the height AND width weren't over the limit with my test file being 12,546 x 5,346 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newer  Export As is still limited. I just tried to Export As an 11000 x 11000 px png (purely academic - I could not think of a real life reason to do this). It was limited to 9900 x 9900 px. So it appears there is a limit on total pixels rather than one side.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must amend my suggestion to optimize with Color Quantizer - after some testing it seems it handles images up to 2560x2560 pixels only. So it wouldn't be a solution.

Also tested in PhotoLine: no such limits using the web export there. Works as expected. I exported a 500.000 px wide PNG without issues. Interestingly enough, Photoshop cannot load that file, since it only supports up to 300.000px dimensioned images.

I wonder when the Photoshop devs will finally let go of that arbitrary limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Open the "Save for Web" dialog
  2. Change your output settings to the preferred format and quality
  3. DO NOT interact with the size inputs
  4. Click the "Preview" button in the lower left corner of the "Save for Web" dialog
  5. Photoshop will generate the image at your original dimensions and open it in a web browser
  6. Save out the generated image from the web browser

Works for me - You can thank Jordan Pagels for the info 🙂
Photoshop: Remove the 8192px limit on save for web | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines