• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to add reference points to layers and snap other layers to them?

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making panoramics of sonar data. This data is difficult to interpret by eye, let alone for photoshop to try and make a panoramic on its own. What I'd like to do it to add reference points on features I can make out on several different layers and "snap" them together. Even if they can't actually snap, i'd be able to manually line them up. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the something that stops you from adding marks to layers and aligning the layers manually?   Lower the opacity of the upper layer align the marks then raze the opacity back up

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing it this way; the problem with it is that these aren't always features that can be seen clearly - especially when the opacity is lowered and there is a background image in the layer behind it.

What I'd like to be able to do is sort all of my images (as separate layers) find features that I can mark and line them up with points. If I can come up with two or more points on each image, I will be able overlay them much more easily than using the features alone.

If there is a way to have these reference points stay entirely visible when lowering the opacity the combination of both methods would work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the upper add a layer mask.  Use the black paint to mark your spots on the layer mask. Pinch holes in that later with the mask. between the background layer and that layer add an empty layer and lock its position Paint with red paint on this layer to mark the background layers spots. position the upper layer holes over the red spots and turn off the red layer's visibility and disable the layer mask on the upper layer.  I you try using the gay matter between your ears it may com up with other ways.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what that last comment is about. If you don't feel like I'm thinking enough, feel free not to comment. I haven't been using photoshop for long, so it's a little difficult to search for terms that I've never heard of. I'm not asking you come up with solutions, I'm asking if there is a tool available that matches my description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was just commenting the tool you need to use is between your ears.  It is your best tool you have when using Photoshop.  There are always more than  one way to do thing in Photoshop.  A single way is not the norm.  Some methods do work better than others though.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines