• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

issues with setting up margin for 4x6inch print in lightroom

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to print 4x6inch photos from my Lightroom with white boarder, I am trying to adjust the bottom margin to be the same as the top margin but no matter what I do, it just doesn't allow me to reduce it to be lower than 0.2inch, the top one can go as low as 0.12inch. When I print the photo, it shows the top white space is a bit narrower than the bottom big...

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 1.15.41 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-28 at 1.15.30 pm.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm my computer, the margin "shows" to be offered little bit. But it prints correctly. Are you saying that it prints wrong for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , the print shows the same,. the difference is not a lot but I can tell clearly that the top white space is narrower than the bottom part.

And if I adjusted the margin of the top to be the same as 0.2inch, the print will then show the top is wider than the bottom part.....it can never be the same, it is very very strange.....

I just want to have the white boarder to be the SAME on prints, it doesn't matter if it is 0.2inch or 0.13inch or whatever..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some comments:

• the lower limit for LR defined page margins is whatever hardware margins LR is getting from the print driver
  • if you set borderless mode in the print driver, LR imposes no restrictions on the page margins and lets you make them as small as you like. However most borderless modes will enlarge the image by a few percent (as a "bleed") when it is submitted to the printer - in which case your margins would not then show at the requested width. Some print drivers offer an alternative borderless mode which prints exact to size with no "bleed" enlargement.
  • the image cell does not automatically resize itself larger after page margins have been reduced - it is necessary to drag its size sliders as far as they will go, in order to make full use of the available space
  • the image as cropped may not then fill both the width and height of the image cell, unless the aspect ratio used in the cropping is exactly set to suit. By setting the image to "Zoom to Fill" rather than "Zoom to Fit" such exactness is not necessary; the image self-crops as needed. That can be adjusted a little for best composition, by dragging (or Ctrl+dragging) the image within its self-crop window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can print borderless on my Canon Prograf 1000, so why can't I reduce margins below .12 when not printing borderless? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine also is a 'little bit' off.  No way can I set the margins all to 0.11inch.  Tried adjusting all sliders.

(Classic 7.2 WIndows-10,  'old' Epson R800 )

So I cannot be of help to evanw....

ScreenShot202.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be a restriction of the printer.

I can get the margins all the same but to do that I have to click in the text box and enter .13 in each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do I. But for some reason, the margins never look exactly equal on the monitor. The print, however, always seems to come out the way it should. I'm on my second monitor, and the issue is consistent. Not serious enough for me to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I try to overwrite the bottom margin in the text field, I will get a warning message window Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 4.02.56 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your original post, 2nd screenshot, the height of the cell (Cell Size) is 5.68.  Move this slider to the right to get 5.75.  With a height of 5.68" on a 6" print leaves a total required border of 0.32".  Top border is 0.12" so bottom border is forced to be 0.20, exactly as shown.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

evanw30054245  wrote

If I try to overwrite the bottom margin in the text field, I will get a warning message window

This has to be some type of Printer restriction.

What printer are you using?

Have you tried to set the printer to print boarder-less?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening because you are asking LR to fit your image into a space that is not appropriate for it. I assume that the image has the standard 2:3 aspect ratio, but by subtracting equal amounts for both dimensions of 2:3 paper (4x6 in.) you are creating an image space that is not 2:3. For instance, if you want 0.13 margins, you would have an image space that is 3.76 x 5.76, a ratio which is 2:3.06. LR tries to solve the problem by choosing the aesthetically preferred solution for large prints hung on the wall, a wider bottom margin. But that is not what you want, so you need to do the problem solving yourself by creating a 3.76 : 5.76 custom crop and cropping the image before going to the Print module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines