• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2018 Crashes when using Eyedropper Tool

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all day to use the Eyedropper tool in InDesign CC 2018. Every time I click anywhere with the eyedropper tool the program crashes. Is this happening to anyone else? It is specifically happening to text within a table.

Since I am using a document that was first created in InDesign CC 2017 I did some testing to see if that was the issue. It appears it does not matter which version of InDesign a document was originally created in as I tried creating a new document to see if I could replicate the issue. Same thing happened - to text specifically within a table.

I then did some more testing and created a brand new document and tried the eyedropper tool within normal text boxes, not a table, and the eyedropper tools works just fine. I then created a table in that new document and tried to use the eyedropper tool....crashed again. So it appears it is only happening to my text inside a table.

So frustrating, HELP!!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

We have provided an update to CC2018 to addressed crashes and bugs.(If the updates are not available select "Check for app updates" option in Creative cloud application.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing to try is restoring your InDesign preferences. Here's how:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rh2345,

This is a known error and we have already raised it to Engineering team and they are looking into it.

We will update the discussion as soon as we have any solution.

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also occurs in InCopy if anyone is wondering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing it here on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it could be a Mac only thing. (I can replicate the issue in InCopy using High Sierra and Sierra.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is Mac only (and along with the ICC profile bug) I can't reproduce either one here on Windows, I would actually put my hopes on it being an O/S bug. Apple fixes these way faster than Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac so it could be Mac only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we need to get more information about the bug.

I'm using InDesign CC 2018 on a MacBook Pro with High Sierra (macOS 10.13). I just tested sampling with the Eyedropper tool and applying color a couple times and I had no crashes.

Can those who have had crashes, please tell us what macOS you're using, and exactly what steps you could do to replicate the crash, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It crashes when you sample text within a table. (Not all text.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fourteen,

Exactly what operating system are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce on Sierra and High Sierra. I also tested on Windows 10 and like BobLevine could not reproduce it there.

1. Create a table and then add some text under it.
  2. Select the text.
  3. Sample text within the table with the eyedropper.

That causes the crash for me in both InDesign and InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you capture that and post it? Might help the engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was a mac going over a cliff! lol

But this crash is not just to do with tables it happens just in a normal text box.

(MacOS Sierra - iMac 21.5inch, Later 2013, Processor 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB)     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you mentioned that you're using the Eyedropper tool in a table. That's never something I've had a need to do, and I'd never find that bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video Fourteen posted is exactly what mine looks like as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, but I thought it was crashing because I was trying to sample the color that I used for one of the rows. I wasn't clicking specifically on the text but the very left edge of the table where it is just color. Perhaps it is specific to the eyedropper inside a table in general?

macOS Sierra, Version 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are right about it being inside a table in general based on my experience. It didn't seem to matter where in the table I clicked...it would crash no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Mine is also crashing when I use eyedropper on linked EPS files in my document. In that case, it will sample the color then immediately crash. I've repeated it 3 times and it's crashed every time. It will however sample normal text outside of a table for me with no issues, as well as shape layers. Also, I don't know if it matters, but I'm doing all of this in the Advanced workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've not been able to crash InDesign using Eyedropper on a linked EPS file.

Could you share a sample EPS file to test with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, with Sierra 10.12.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on OS Sierra 10.12.6

Agreed with what Fourteen said, it crashes when you sample text within a table. I can sample text in a normal text box just fine, but once I even think about clicking into the table, it crashes. Not literally when I think, but literally upon the first click into a table every single time it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same issue with text out of a table now.  A real pain and needs resolving quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines