• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying Bookmarks from one PDF to another

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys i am new on the forum had a question, i have been researching for way to copy my bookmarks from one pdf to another. i have yet to fine a way to do so. does anyone know if and how it can be done. every week i have 25 different reports i make info pdfs and i have to bookmark them its a pain but if i can copy the bookmarks over that would be great since its the same set of pages just updated information.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Open the old file containing bookmarks, open the thumbnails panel and use "Replace (all) Pages" by importing the new document.

And save as.

"Replace Pages" only replaces the layout (optimized pages) and leaves everything else untouched (hyperlinks, comments, form fields, metadata, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've developed a script that allows you to generate a bookmarks tree from a text file.

You can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Create Bookmarks from File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will the script take bookmarks i made already store them into the text file for later use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not currently, but it's certainly a good idea. However, it's somewhat limited because it can only identify "go to page"-type links.

If you want to discuss it further please send me an email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should look at 3rd party tools that automatically create bookmarks, such as those offered here: Software Solutions for Adobe® Acrobat®

The problem with bookmarks is that they are connected to actual page in a PDF, so they can't be transferred. To be created there has to be some kind of consistent pattern that can be used indicate which bookmark is attached to which page.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes so far looking at 3rd party apps is the answer some are very expensive. i have found two that copy the bookmarks exact in case needs to do just that. You merely export then import the bookmarks. they both have trials to test.

1) Debenu PDF Aerialist

2) PDF-XChange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go!  Both those tools do many more things as well. I have PDF XChange and it fills in a lot of holes left by Acrobat. And it implements the Acrobat JavaScript Dialog object, which is pretty impressive. I didn't know about the bookmark copy, so thanks for the info

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the old file containing bookmarks, open the thumbnails panel and use "Replace (all) Pages" by importing the new document.

And save as.

"Replace Pages" only replaces the layout (optimized pages) and leaves everything else untouched (hyperlinks, comments, form fields, metadata, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great for using the same bookmarks for a new pdf. Thanks!

And Adobe really should make it easier to convert the list of bookmarks into text so that it can be used as a table of contents for hard copies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JR Boulay You are the Real V.I.P for this. Thank you sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly! THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution was perfect and simple, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent workaround! And kudos for the non-linear out of the box thinking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! This worked great...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines