• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Am I missing something about this gradient tool?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I wanted to make a radial gradient on a layer mask.  After finding the gradient tool and creating a gradient, I can't find any way to adjust it.  How do you change the falloff radius, for example?  As it stands, radial gradients appear to be nearly worthless, because you can't control them.

Here's a video showing how I'd expect one to work, and how Photoshop apparently works.  Are there some hidden controls somewhere?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first Gradient is not done in Photoshop, the author is comparing two different Gradients from two different applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ged+Traynor  wrote

The first Gradient is not done in Photoshop, the author is comparing two different Gradients from two different applications.

Yes, that's the whole point.  Other applications handle gradients competently, and have done so for decades.  I added another one to the comparison; Affinity Photo is relatively new, and its gradient tool is (like almost everyone else's) actually useful:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a raster application, not vector.   You can't adjust it once you have created it as you can in Illustrator.

You need to set the grad palette sliders to the degree of transparency you want  - and combine that with the amount you drag the Grad Tool cursor across the image.

grad.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not wrong: Photoshop features one of the most horrid and limited gradient editors in the image editor business. It's just something PS users put up with, it seems. I really don't want to start a rant here, but in a nutshell:

- colour controls for bitmap and vector gradients are separated for some obscure reason.

- only the dreadfully ancient and clunky gradient editor dialog is available to edit gradients.

- on-screen widget control is limited to the initial drag movement when using the bitmap gradient tool.

- there is no other on-screen widget available in Photoshop to control a gradient.

- bitmap gradients are destructive. Once made, they cannot be edited.

- Photoshop gradients still lack any blending algorithm control. This results in rather not-so-nice multi-colour stop blending, and requires the user to add more stops than what is really necessary.

Here is a quick demonstration video of a competing image editor's on-screen gradient widget, and how simple and effective it is to control a NON-DESTRUCTIVE bitmap gradient. These can be just as easily used for layer masks, and remain non-destructive. It think this should serve as an example to the Photoshop team that time did not stand still. Photoshop's gradient tools are a disgrace.

Sorry to be so blunt. It's time they entered the 20th century.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines