Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paragraph and character styles PS CC 2018

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

There are two bugs that are making these "features" absolutely U N U S A B L E. I am aware these issues are not new (and actually it's surprising that they were not fixed for that long).

First thing is, both paragraph and character styles change the font size in a weird way - if I, for example, set font size to 14pt in Paragraph Style dialog, it will render as 9.96pt. It happens with every font I've tried, the settings are not overridden by anything. This issue was already described here photoshop paragraph style font size is incorrect, problem and as far as I know there's no solution.

Second bug is more, well, unpredictable. Clicking on paragraph style applies just some of it's settings to the text layer. I have, for example, a new paragraph style with font color set to red, font family to Times New Roman and font case to all caps. I am trying to apply it to  black text, Arial, no all caps/small caps settings.

Sometimes when I apply it on the text layer (both, existing and newly created one) it will change all the settings, sometimes it will just apply the font case (but leave the original text color and font family), sometimes it will change just the font family, and sometimes it won't work at all.

Just before you ask - I was following the Adobe instructions, or some tutorials on YouTube. When I apply the paragraph/character style, it appears in history. It's not just an issue with one file. I have no idea if that was happening in previous version, cause it's the first time I needed these.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018
No, the type layer wasn't transformed.

To test this could you mark some text in a Type Layer that features the wrong font size after »Clear Override«, copy it, create a new Type Layer and paste it? With which font size is the text pasted?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you click the »Clear Override«-button after applying the Paragraph Style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear Override button sometimes works for font color, case and family, but there's still the issue with the font size. No, the type layer wasn't transformed.

I believe it's some kind of bug, because sometimes it works just fine, sometimes changes just some settings, and sometimes doesn't work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the type layer wasn't transformed.

To test this could you mark some text in a Type Layer that features the wrong font size after »Clear Override«, copy it, create a new Type Layer and paste it? With which font size is the text pasted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, seems like that's the solution, the font size is exactly the same as the one I set in paragraph style.

The second issue still happens -  sometimes it doesn't change all the font settings to the correct ones (even after I use "Clear Override")  - i.e. it changes only font color or font case. But it seems to be very random so I assume it's just some kind of a bug (restarting Photoshop usually helps).

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you mixing Character Styles and Paragraph Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I am not mixing them, but this bug also happens when i use character styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing is, both paragraph and character styles change the font size in a weird way - if I, for example, set font size to 14pt in Paragraph Style dialog, it will render as 9.96pt.

Had you at any point transformed the Type Layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having similar problems in Photoshop 2020 on a mac. It appears that the character style functions don't work at all, and type defaults at half the size that I specified. I thought maybe it had to do with retina display; it's trying to display the font at a size appropriate for your monitor instead of the measurements of my copied text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines