• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit synced photos in Lightroom Classic CC with drive offline?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

I'm creating this discussion because I couldn't find an answer for that anywhere else.

My problem is that I want to be able to edit my photos in my notebook anywhere I take it, without having to carry my big and fragile external hard drive where my pictures are stored.

I've already synced some of my collections and I'm able to edit my pics from anywhere using the Lightroom CC on my computer or the mobile version in my phone. But when I try to edit using Lightroom Classic CC, even though the pictures are synced, it says the files are missing and I'm only able to make any adjustment if I plug my hard drive in.

So I need to know how to edit synced photos in Lightroom Classic CC with my external hard drive (the one my pictures are stored) offline.

I would really appreciate if anyone could held me with that,

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

That's what smart previews are for. With the hard drive online, select the photos you want to edit and choose 'Library > Previews > Build Smart Previews'. Now you can edit these photos with the hard drive offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what smart previews are for. With the hard drive online, select the photos you want to edit and choose 'Library > Previews > Build Smart Previews'. Now you can edit these photos with the hard drive offline.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The smart previews have to be stored on the computer you want to work on. The folder location for smart previews is in the same top level folder your catalog is in and is named Catalog Name Smart Previews.lrdata.

If you have that folder on your desktop and it contains smart preview for the image files you want to work on on your notebook then you can Copy that complete folder over to your notebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That totally solved my problem and it was so simple!

Thanks a lot, JohanEl54!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines