• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Code View Blank in DW 2017

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it while using Dreamweaver 2017 that when editing pages sometimes between 2-30 in dreamweaver the code view will randomly be a blank grey block with no code inside even though there is code and design view shows there's stuff? I've tried reinstalling it completely to trying it on a brand new mac book ( literally days old ) and this issue STILL happens. The Os is Sierra 10.12.3 if that helps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

I checked with the team and they have logged a bug for this issue to be fixed in a future update. Stay tuned. Apologize for the frustration until the fix is released.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens once in a while for me too on Win10.  

Usually, switching views a couple of times will bring it back,

Or try opening your Code Inspector  (Win F10).

Also, run validation to check your code for errors.

CC-BugReport.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I tried switching views like you said, but it doesn't fix anything. When trying to do a find/replace all when the code view is blank on a couple pages the replace function doesn't happen on those pages either which is a huge pain in the ass. The only solution i've found is to downgrade back to 2015. How anyone could accept this type of bug from running rampant is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it seems pretty repeatable for you, make sure to report the issue under DW's Help > Report Bug/Feature Request.

The more people that report a given bug, the higher on the list of fixes it will go (at least, that's what we're told).

I've had it happen once or twice, closing and reopening the file fixed it for me.

However I couldn't replicate it so never reported it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did report this bug some months ago, (Bug No - DWBETA-4150314).

However, as you have noticed, it does not happen with any particular code, and even worse it is very random in happening. The team is aware of it though, and if you can find any particular cause for this they would like to know As trying to fix something that has no apparent reason for happening, and does not even happen with the same code/page consistently, is the proverbial, 'like looking for a needle in a haystack'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue; very frustrating.

While just switching between various Code/Split views doesn't usually work for me, what does work is going to View > Live Code. The code appears, and then remains visible even after you turn Live Code off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for the inconvenience. I am checking with the team about the latest status of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked with the team and they have logged a bug for this issue to be fixed in a future update. Stay tuned. Apologize for the frustration until the fix is released.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My code window is completely blank.

Just downloaded DW CC 17 this a.m. Was viewing a file I made in DW CS3 just last week. Thank goodness that Design view still works!

Tried: switching views, closing & reopening

Really looking forward to that update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Just happened again. The blank code window apparently saves with the file!

Tried Window > Results > Validation and it came up with a little window, that was also blank. So I'm guessing that didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this bug was reported over 8 months ago and is still an ongoing issue....? Where is the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to DW 2018 and it is happening to me. Therefore I am unable to editing any of my code in code view.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have code errors denoted by the red X.  And errors make DW dizzy.

CC-error-indicators.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. If you were referring to my post above...I cannot see my code, that is the problem. So I do not understand the "errors in my code" portion of your response.

Best

DjJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see part of a red X under your document which denotes code errors.

Run the Validation Checker for details. See screenshot.

CC-BugReport.jpg

CC-validate-doc.jpg

If your document contains a lot of critical code errors, you might need to use another editor to clean them up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, his point is that errors in code should NOT prevent a code editor from seeing the code text. Otherwise, how would one ever correct bad or broken code? DW should be able to see any code whether it is valid or not.

I was having a similar issue, though I realized it was DW 2018 instead. I could open the code just fine in TextEdit, TextWrangler, Atom...it was just plain ole HTML. Yet, DW showed the code view blank except for numbers for line 1 and 2. It is true that code was spit out from a email signature tool used in conjunction with Exchange server and that system capitalizes HTML tags. Not correct code, but how in the world could that prevent a professional code editor from viewing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're preaching to the choir.  I stopped using DW 2018 and reverted to 2017.

However, all versions of DW get cranky when the code contains a lot of critical errors.  My guess without seeing the code is there is something really wrong in the document's <head> that  DW cannot reconcile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Sometimes works properly when Dreamweaver is newly launched, but a lot of the time none of the ways of viewing code work and I have to use a text editor instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the newest build of DW 18.  So frustrating!  And very random.  How could this not be fixed yet?

Usually closing dreamweaver and restarting will solve the issue.  A 15 minute process, it is so slow to close and reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I use CC2015 due to all of the glitches and inconsistencies in the more recent versions. It's easy enough to have them both installed, and hopefully, in the next update, they'll fix the issue and I can start using newer features in CC2018.

If not, CC2015 does everything I need and won't be updated further, so should continue to work for a good long while.

Make sure to add your voice to the bug report forum and drop back to a usable version of the program until it's fixed.

As a paid subscriber, you have access to every full version release all the way back to CS6 Cloud. All versions can be installed on the same machines at the same time under a single subscription, they just won't run concurrently.

1. Open the CC Desktop App
2. Click the Apps tab
3. Click the small triangle next to DW's button
4. Click Other Versions
5. Click the version you want and install

In the future, be sure to click the Advanced Options link in the installer dialogue window so you can turn off the "Remove Older Versions" checkbox. That will allow you to keep your older, functional version while testing the latest releases to make sure bugs and/or removed features don't interrupt your workflow.

Unfortunately, it appears that Updates don't always equal Upgrades with the subscription service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really Adobe do you care at all? Please fix the current bugs before adding more features. Your programs use to be so reliable this doesn't seem to matter to you as much now. Please consider how much this impacts your users. This stuff makes it so hard to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have fixed the code view going blank issue in the latest Dw update 2018.1. Please update Dw to the latest version and request you to revert back with your findings if you are still encountering code view blank issue.

Thanks,

Nayan

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is not fixed. I am running version 18.1 and I cannot see anything but grey in the windows. I have uninstalled, deleted preferences, reinstalled, and still the same thing. This all happened after the update.

The only time I can see anything is when I choose 'Code-Design'. It shows me the Design section, but the code area is still dark gray. Any other mode is just gray windows.

Very inconvenient as I'm traveling for work right now and nothing is working.

I am on a MacBook Pro running the latest version of OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frankm-viz,

Sorry for the inconvenience, we have made sure the root-cause of this issue is fixed. But as you already said, you tried it with deleting preferences. Can you also quit Dw and rename all the older Dw version preferences available on your machine and then launch Dw 18.1 ?.

Files which are to be renamed:

1. Navigate to /Users/[User Name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe and rename all the Dreamweaver related folders. For eg, 'Dreamweaver CC 2017' folder to 'Old Dreamweaver CC 2017'.

2. Navigate to /Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences and rename all the Dreamweaver prefs. For eg, 'Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 Prefs' file to 'Old Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 Prefs'.

Thanks,

Nayan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nayan,

For the past day I have tried this and other attempts to solve this. I've tried changing the names of the folders. I've tried deleting the folders. I've tried uninstalling and install again fresh. No change. I still get gray screens as I mentioned before.

I don't have another computer with me at the moment to test, but I will be traveling back to my studio today and test to see if this problem is isolated to this MacBook Pro only.

-Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines