Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Breadcrumbs Show Incorrect Path

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2009 Jan 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We use RoboHelp 7 to generate a WebHelp system for our application. The TOC of this Help system is largely based on the heirarchy of modules and features in the application's GUI. This means that occasionally a topic will appear under multiple books. The problem that we've noticed is that when you click the 2nd or 3rd occurrance of a topic (from the top), the breadcrumbs path for the 1st occurrance of the topic is always shown.

A simplified example: Topic A appears in Book 01 and in Book 02. Accessing either occurance of Topic A always displays this breadcrumbs path: Home > Book 01 > Topic A.

If we reverse the order so that Book 02 appears first (from the top) in the TOC, the breadcrumbs path for both occurrances of Topic A is: Home > Book 02 > Topic A.

This issue stems directly from the filename of the Help topic file. If we use different filenames for each occurrance of the topic, the breadcrumbs work as expected. Because of the size of our Help system and the way that it is organized, we'd prefer not not to use multiple copies of the same document.

Is there anyway to override this, so that the correct path is shown regardless of which occurrance of Topic A a user clicks?

I have a small sample Help sytem that I can email if you'd like a more graphic example this.

Thanks,
Roger

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Roger

To all: Roger also cross posted this question to the Help Authoring Tools and Techniques (HATT) community. I posted the same reply there.

Hi Roger

One way you might be able to overcome it would be to use redirects. Just create several redirect pages that ultimately point to the same page and insert the redirects in the TOC locations.

But I'm thinking that may not be optimal. I'm thinking it would accomplish the different entry points, but the ultimate page wouldn't have the proper breadcrumb trail.

Thinking.... tap tap tap.... thinking...

Aha! What about this? You might do something similar. Create multiple pages for the TOC. The pages would have the correct breadcrumb trails, no? Then for the main body parts, declare a large snippet and plop the snippet on each page. I'm thinking that might work.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips, Rick.

I agree that the snippet solution sounds better. Unfortunately, we aren't using snippets currently, and we're not in a position at this point in the release cycle to implement them.

I did try the redirect solution, which did not work. When the target topic is still in the TOC, the breadcrumbs path still shows only the path to the first occurrance of the topic in the TOC. If the target topic isn't included in the TOC, no breadcrumbs path appears.

Again, thanks for the help.
Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Roger

Not sure I understand the hesitation with snippets, as they are super simple to create and use and should pose minimal (if any) risk to an existing project. Particularly given that you wouldn't really be modifying any existing topics. You would create all new stuff and use some copy/paste trickery.

To each his/her own I suppose. I'm sure you have your reasons.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp