• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jewelry retouching

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have any idea how to retouch thi ring professionally?Make the stone pop, remove the noise from stone, make the metal pop etc?

here is the file Dropbox - JR3803 (2).ARW.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with much the same as you. Once cutout, I applied many gradients to the facets of the ring, particularly in the shank by making paths. Dodge and burn helped to shape it. De saturate the ring too, black and white removes the strange colour casts you get from flare etc but don't go mad, let some colour come back through as a natural grade. Don't be afraid to let the whites go to zero-dot white because  silver will have natural specular highlights.

Added custom brushes at the end made it pop and sharpen using high pass filters. I put it on a grad black, reflected it( a bit of license there!) and gave a tickle of a shadow..

ring.jpg

ring1.jpg

Hope that helps

Butch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beautiful !

And I am sure iti s going to help others as well!

Maybe a tutorial on Tech Wednesday?

We always looking for more ideas and more people!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats that Chana? I am rather new to these forums!

Thanks

Butch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has webinars every Wednesday, some are NDA, other are open. They have various people give demonstrations on different apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send a note to Tricia and if you are an ACP or AEL it will be great to have

you present to the group!

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 07:14 astrobutch0901 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I made this what do you think?

2rGaqTzALw9w7HBV3uTLf3Ak7139CJuPGJkeX8ZwYyU?dl=0&size=2048x1536&size_mode=3Dropbox - JR3803-(2)b.ARW.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have done a great job!

Think about a bit more light and shade around the ring bottom edge. Rings can look a bit flat unless you lift the gradation around the shank. There is some tonality that is similar and needs some separation.

With your permission, can I use the image and annotate it a bit to help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please that is why I posted original so you guys can work on it @astrobutch can you explain in more details what you would improve? Also the stone I want to make it more clear.....

Sadly the res is small, i dont have th bigger pic.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

astrobutch you mean more burn where the ring is touching the floor?

What about the tonality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ring1.jpg

Look at the image of mine again, see how there are darker areas of tone in the shank as it disappears into the top of the ring. This gives natural contrast with the other tones of white/grey

make the gradation of tone a bit non-uniform too as otherwise it will look a bit flat.

with the jewel facets, lighten them, make more selections and adjust the brightness of them, make your blacks black and your whites white, zero-dot.

I hope this helps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know what it means zero dot? You mean to completely desaturate it? I use desaturate tool and pull the slider back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you think now?   sbIriDA86geB_PK_fHoZpkKfxSgVZVc23qfV_5D8WLQ?dl=0&size=2048x1536&size_mode=3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really starting to get somewhere, needs more darker tones, I think the image is starting to break up a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means no pixel information in the white. You'll have to excuse me, I worked a lot in repro and often retouched in CMYK not RGB, when there is 0% in Cyan,Magenta,Yellow and Key, it was said to be zero-dot, i.e. no pixel information and therefore completely page-white.

Desaturate only means to pull colour out the image but it can still have tone, effectively its a black and white.

I feel I may be confusing the issue. Just make sure that you have a good tonal contrast range from black to pure white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i take out all the color, it will look gray.....It is hard to make it white...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok another try, it looks too dark, what do you think?  Dropbox - JR3803-(2)g.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prettyjoe  schrieb

… Sadly the res is small, i dont have th bigger pic.....

Sometimes it's better to make a new (and better) photo instead of spending many hours on work in Photoshop.

The better the original the better the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed but sometimes its simply not possible due to speed and cost, you need a catch-all situation and a fast PS operative!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi prettyjoe​,

not bad for the beginning.

But the biggest problem is: your original image does not have enough pixels. Do you have a better image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you are interested in creating amazing effects in photoshop i would recommend pixel playground in lynda.com:

Pixel Playground

Bert Monroy is amazing at showing you how to accomplish amazing effects in photoshop. Its great for learning how light behaves and how to use the tools in photoshop to create those effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the rest is up to you prettyjoe, the ring looks a bit flat and needs more tonality(shades of black to white) but these are creative decisions that you have to make for yourself in many ways.

I have shown you an image I made, given more instruction by annotating it. Maybe you can do some research on other jewellery shots on websites and shops and see how they compare to your shots.

The beauty of retouching is understanding what you are trying to achieve at the beginning and gearing the whole process to that result with the tools at your disposal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why you cant do my item, so I can see if you can do it better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again.

Sorry but the picture is too bad. The effort too high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines