Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gray scale is not gray close to black and colours have strange bars

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all.

After a system reset and application reinstall I am experiencing a strange effect.

If I open a gray scale picture it is shown prperly, but in the color tab I have a gray scale that is not gray! Close to blak other colours are present.

The following image is a screenshot of what I mean. The grayscale image on the left is correct while the gray scale bar on the right is wrong. THe RGB bars represents the values obtained by clicking on the left zone of the scale.

BYW a similar effect is present in case of colour scale too.

Is there any settings that I have to do or any other suggestion to solve?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Marco

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Without any info about your system nobody can tell you much. Such stuff typically relates to things like wrong monitor profiles or generally wrong configuration of your display settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info about your system nobody can tell you much. Such stuff typically relates to things like wrong monitor profiles or generally wrong configuration of your display settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for you answer Mylenium. I am using a Laptop with Windows 10 Home edition and the latest Photoshop releases.

I have tested my system without any color profiling, with predefined ones and with to one obtained by my profiling devices (Spyder 5+ DisplaCal software). Even if with different results the problem is always present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the image itself looks correct, I'd suspect a video driver glitch in the Color panel.

Update the driver, or disable GPU in preferences until an update fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mmm, I have disabled the GPU and now even the image presents the same bars.

Any other suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update. I have removed all the profiles from the windows folder. Now the bars are disappeared, but the color are not calibrated.

This appen with and without the use of GPU, so the problem seems not related to GPU but probably to color profiling as indicated above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have removed all the Dispcal monitor profiles, the Windows default is used. That's sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

Anyway, that confirms it is the monitor profile. So try to change some settings and make a new one. In particular, version 4 and/or table-based (LUT) profiles can be problematic in some circumstances. Make sure Dispcal is set to make version 2 and matrix-based profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you D Fosse, I have recalibrated the display using the software provided with Spider 5 and the problem is no more present. This software is normally not accurated as Dispcal. I'll tray to recalibrate again using the settings you suggest and I'll give you a feedback. Probably by today.

UPDATE. I am not able to find were to select version 2 instead of version 4 in Dispcal (I am using the GUI interface).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Dispcal - but those options would normally be under a "policies" heading, and they are only active when you set up a new target. It's a specific property of that particular profile, not a general preference.

If those options don't exist at all, it should be v2 and matrix by default, since those are the "safe" policies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably it is as you say, I have not found the way to select version 4.

Anyway, the results it is still not good, while using the software provided by the vendor there are not any colored bamd in the gray scale.

I'll continue additional tests, even if I do not understand why in the past, vefore resetting my computer it was not present any problem, while now I do not obtain the good results with DisplayCal. I have the doubt that some system driver has been updated ad its behaviour is no more like in the past.

Thank you for your kind support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines