Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge / ACR - Raw file colour space showing as "Untagged RGB"

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setup

PC - Windows 10 with automatic system updates turned on.

PS - CC 2018 with Camera RAW - 10.2.1

and

PS CS6 with Camera Raw - 9.1.1

Calibration - Spyder 4 Elite

Camera - Canon 5D III

I am having some major colour space issues at the moment with Adobe products. My images in Bridge preview look very different in colour and saturation to how they look in Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop.

So I have been checking my settings and trying to work out where the issue is. Windows colour profiles? The Spyder 4? My settings in Bridge or PS or the Camera Raw defaults? I still haven't found the root cause of the discrepancies, but whilst looking, I found an issue which I am sure is not helping.

I shoot Raw 100% of the time. My cameras are set up to use Adobe RGB as the colour space. My raw preferences on the PC are set to use Adobe RGB. This has been working fine for the last maybe 8 years.

But now, in Bridge (CC2108 or CS6) if I look at the metedata / file properties, the colour profile is showing as "Untagged RGB". I appreciate these are raw files I am looking at, but until a couple of months back, this would show in Bridge as Adobe RGB as that was what my camera had assigned to the file. I also can't see a way of Bridge forcing the file to use Adobe RGB as the colour space.

If I look at the file in an Exif viewer application (I used Metadata++), I can see that the camera did assign Adobe RGB in the metadata. But to further rule out anything camera specific, the exact same thing is happening to raw files from my Fuji XT1.

Anyone know why all of a sudden Bridge is saying these are "Untagged RGB".

I am hoping that if I can get this resolved, then the preview and thumbnails in Bridge will again be the same colour and saturation as the image in Camera Raw and Photoshop.

Many, many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

It's as JJ says, and if you seem to remember differently you remember incorrectly. The color space setting in the camera has always been ignored by ACR/Lr, and Bridge has always reported raw files as "untagged".

I am having some major colour space issues at the moment with Adobe products. My images in Bridge preview look very different in colour and saturation to how they look in Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop.

That's a different story. The way you describe it sounds like a monitor profile issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files have no color space they are not RGB images.  You RAW converter can convert your RAW data into an RGB image in 8 or 16 bit color in any color space you want.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know they have no colour space per se, but they are marked/assigned with one in the exif data, which tells Bridge / Camera Raw which one it should be using.

All of my old raw files show as "Adobe RGB" colour profile in Bridge, my new files show as "Untagged RGB". This is something that has only changed in the last couple of months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's as JJ says, and if you seem to remember differently you remember incorrectly. The color space setting in the camera has always been ignored by ACR/Lr, and Bridge has always reported raw files as "untagged".

That's a different story. The way you describe it sounds like a monitor profile issue. It has nothing to do with camera color space or even document color space in general.

Normally that would mean a corrupt/defective monitor profile (which can affect applications differently) - but this sounds a bit like Bridge is using the wrong profile in a dual display setup. That can and does occasionally happen.

Unless you are talking about Bridge not updating the preview, and thus showing you the camera-generated jpeg preview that is embedded in the file. I've never seen that, but I suppose it's a theoretical possibility.

Either way - a side by side screenshot is needed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

I really hope so, it has been known to happen a fair bit.

I appreciate raw is not processed, but I thought Bridge picked up from exif that the file was shot with AdobeRGB settings and showed this in the preview.

I will go and check some old raw files and see how they are coming up and screenshot what Bridge shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh, so sorry to waste your time! You are absolutely correct, I must have assumed it said Adobe RGB, but looks like it never did. It is only processed files (psd, jpg etc) that show Aobe RGB as the profile.

And I am using a dual screen setup too.

So I think my screen colour problems are just down to my PC screen calibration or maybe a conflicting setting somewhere.... I'll go start looking through settings again from the beginning....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem.

Focus on your monitor profiles. The profiles themselves may be sound, but if the application converts to the profile for the main display even if the application is on the secondary display, the wrong numbers are sent to screen and it displays incorrectly. Especially if one is wide gamut and the other standard gamut.

Start by going into Windows Color Management > Devices and confirm that the correct profile is assigned to the correct display. The Spyder software should have set this up.

Then try to reassign displays in the OS. Do it so that all applications open on your main display, whichever one that is.

This "wrong profile-syndrome" - if that's what it is - is very clearly a bug, but it's impossible to say where. It could be Adobe, it could be the OS, it could even be the profiling software. Or most likely it's a combination of all three.

---

Color inconsistencies are never caused by the document profile, unless it's wildly corrupt, and that almost never happens. And obviously aside from any gamut clipping.

Other than that, any document profile should always display correctly in any color managed application. That's the whole point of color management in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines