• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I find my library that I moved to an external drive?

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved my library to an external drive. All seemed to be connecting ok till I deleted the data from my computer's internal drive.

I think I deleted the catalogue by mistake.

All my files are on the external drive,but I cant access it through lightroom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

When you write that you moved your 'library' to an external drive do mean the 'photos' or the 'catalog and previews' (i.e. files with lrcat and lrdata extensions)?

If the former, and you haven't got a backup of the catalog, then you'll need to create a new catalog and reimport your photos. If the later then a copy of your catalog will be stored on your external drive. Hopefully, this is the case as you can simply double to the file with the lrcat extension to get back to where things went wrong f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you write that you moved your 'library' to an external drive do mean the 'photos' or the 'catalog and previews' (i.e. files with lrcat and lrdata extensions)?

If the former, and you haven't got a backup of the catalog, then you'll need to create a new catalog and reimport your photos. If the later then a copy of your catalog will be stored on your external drive. Hopefully, this is the case as you can simply double to the file with the lrcat extension to get back to where things went wrong for you.

Going forward, I would recommend that you establish a robust backup strategy for your catalogs and photos. Adobe provide the tools for backing up you catalog within the application, and this video from Julianne Kost (Adobe) shows various methods of backing up your photos Lightroom 5: Backup Strategies from Julieanne Kost - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you did copy your catalog to the external drive open the File Manager for the OS you are using and go to that external drive. Find the catalog file and double click on it.

In LR open the preferences and go to the General tab, the Default Catalog section and in the When Starting up use this catalog: drop down select "Other" then browse to the external drive and to the catalog you copied over and select it then OK.

If LR is showing your images are missing then you will need to reconnect them using the instructions found on this site.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines