Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos on Lightroom CC Mobile on iPhone Appear Washed Out, Desaturated

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I recently re-installed the Lightroom CC app for mobile on my iPhone 7, and now when I view my images in Lightroom CC mobile that were edited in Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 on my MacBook Pro, the color contrast is completely off and the photos appear washed out/desaturated and in turn look completely different that what I'm looking at on my my desktop. They look perfect on my desktop, not so perfect in Lightroom CC on my mobile. The settings appear to be the same between the two, which would indicate to me that sync is working properly, yes? Is this a color space issue that I'm missing or something else? Once again, this only started after I re-installed the Lightroom CC app on my iPhone 7, so I'm wondering what changed. I've searched and searched for answers or fixes, and I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm missing, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Any help, advice, guidance would be so appreciated! I am by no means a photography expert and am always learning, so feel free to educate me. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

> So... do you think that my Lightroom mobile app just doesn't recognize the Kodak Portra 160 VC N profile as a valid profile?

Yes this is highly likely the problem. The mobile Lightroom doesn't (yet!) support these profiles and they are not synced between Lightroom on the desktop and Lightroom on mobile OS at all so the mobile version simply will not have this profile and will default to Adobe Standard. Support for profiles on iOS/Android will come in the future but it isn't there yet. There cur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should work correctly out of the box. There are a few things you should take care of though. One is that in your phone's preferences, you should turn off night shift (Settings->Displays and Brightness). That setting messes with the color fidelity horribly. You also should experiment with turning off True Tone if your phone supports it.

If that doesn't fix it, open a web browser and go to http://lightroom.adobe.com and see if the images look correct there. If not, Lightroom Classic is not correctly syncing to the cloud. Check it's sync status in Preferences->Lightroom CC and see if nothing is hanging.

If none of these help and the images look correct on lightroom.adobe.com, delete the Lightroom app from your phone and reinstall it from the app store and log on again in the app. This should then fix the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for taking me through all of that and offering your help and insight! I'm so grateful. Sadly, nothing has worked as of yet. Night Shift was already off and my phone doesn't support True Tone, so wasn't a problem. Then when I went to http://lightroom.adobe.com, the photos looked off there as well, so I followed your instructions and checked the Preferences -> Lightroom CC to see if there was anything hanging in the sync queue or if sync was working properly in general, and it appears to all be working as it should. What should I be looking for in there specifically? If you're able, I'd love to see a screenshot of what my Preferences -> Lightroom CC screen should look like so I can make sure all is in fact correct.

I then deleted the Lightroom CC app from my phone entirely, and re-installed and logged in again, and when it all updated, the problem persisted. It's so strange because the settings on the photos are as they should be - the actual settings match in Lightroom Classic on my desktop and on Lightroom CC on my mobile for each photo, which would indicate to me that it is syncing. And I messed around with the settings a little bit and changed settings on my Lightroom Classic on my desktop to see if they would sync and update on my mobile, and they did. The photos just still look completely different - the contrast is way off as is the color - the photos on my Lightroom CC mobile still look really washed out and dull with slightly off colors.

You definitely seem to know your way around this subject and know this stuff inside and out, so if anything else comes to mind that could be causing it, I'll try anything! Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are off in lightroom.adobe.com, it means that Classic is not syncing correctly. If you don't seen any syncing activity in the preferences pane or by clicking on the triangle in the left upper corner, check whether lightroom classic is using the same account to sync as lightroom mobile is. Also check whether you are actually working on the images that are set to sync with CC from Classic and not some other copy of the image. They should be visible in"all synced photographs". Lastly, you can try signing out of creative cloud and signing back in on your desktop machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I checked the account and Lightroom Classic and my Lightroom CC mobile app are using he same account to sync, so that's good there. And I signed out of the creative cloud on my desktop and signed back in. No change there. But I'm a little confused on where to look for "All Synced Photographs". Where will I find that? And is that on my Lightroom Classic or Lightroom CC on my mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and one more bit of info - is it possible that it's only doing this to photos that I've show in Raw? I've only recently started shooting Raw, so only have a handful of collections that were shot in Raw. It seems that all of those collections have the same problem - desaturated, dull photos with the color off. All of the other collections (collections shot in Jpeg) looks the same on Lightroom Classic on my desktop and Lightroom CC on mobile. Is that possible? I have no idea if that would indicate anything to you, but thought it was worth mentioning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you edited these in Lightroom Classic itself? The desaturation is a standard thing in Lightroom when it first shows the embedded jpeg file and then loads the actual raw file. Raw files are normally by default fairly boring. One thing to do is to learn how to apply camera matching profiles. They are in the camera calibration section in develop. They mimic the rendering you get when shooting jpeg.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK got it thank you! Checked the synced photographs section and they're all in there. So good to go on that front.

OK so now I'm very interested in the application of camera matching profiles. I see that under Camera Calibration in the develop module. What should my profile be set to? I see that it changes the look of your image, but what's happening there? I know nothing about applying camera matching profiles, but could this be my problem? This is so instructional - thank you so much for the continued information and for being so patient!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and yes, I originally edited these images in Lightroom Classic. Also, I recently started using a VSCO Lightroom preset to edit these images because I really loved the look of one of them, the Kodak Portra 160 VC-, and the Camera Profile looks like it's set to "Kodak Portra 160 VC N". I'm not sure if that tells you anything about the syncing issue with my mobile app, but maybe it's helpful or has something to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update! I tried changing the Profile to Adobe Standard instead of Kodak Portra 160 VC N, which was obviously set by my preset of the same name, and my Lightroom Mobile updated the image when I changed the settings around. So... do you think that my Lightroom mobile app just doesn't recognize the Kodak Portra 160 VC N profile as a valid profile? Is that a "thing"? That's a little bit sad for me because I really love the where that preset and profile took my image, even after I did a little tweaking post-applying the preset, and now I'm not sure how to get the image there on my own with another camera profile. I realize that applying a preset is the lazy way to go about it - I've tweaked and tweaked and just can't match the look of it exactly on my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So... do you think that my Lightroom mobile app just doesn't recognize the Kodak Portra 160 VC N profile as a valid profile?

Yes this is highly likely the problem. The mobile Lightroom doesn't (yet!) support these profiles and they are not synced between Lightroom on the desktop and Lightroom on mobile OS at all so the mobile version simply will not have this profile and will default to Adobe Standard. Support for profiles on iOS/Android will come in the future but it isn't there yet. There currently is no way to fix this but to use one of the built in profiles (adobe standard or one of the built-in camera matching profiles).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MMC4251  wrote

OK got it thank you! Checked the synced photographs section and they're all in there. So good to go on that front.

OK so now I'm very interested in the application of camera matching profiles. I see that under Camera Calibration in the develop module. What should my profile be set to? I see that it changes the look of your image, but what's happening there? I know nothing about applying camera matching profiles, but could this be my problem? This is so instructional - thank you so much for the continued information and for being so patient!

The camera matching profiles were originally added to Lightroom in order to mimic the jpeg rendering of the cameras themselves. So if you use camera standard, you get something that should be very close to a jpeg straight out of the camera using completely standard settings. The other profiles (landscape, portrait, neutral, etc.) are there to mimic the corresponding camera settings. These are very much an under appreciated feature in Lightroom and most people don't know they are there but they can often provide a bit punchier starting point for editing than Adobe standard which is very conservative in its rendering. Probably the most asked question on this forum is "why do my colors change after I import my images?". The cause is that Lightroom first shows the jpeg preview that the camera embeds in every raw file before it gets a chance to render its own preview. If you change the default profile in Lightroom to "camera standard", this change after import will be minimal and probably not noticeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been so incredibly eye-opening and instructional for me. Thank you so much again for taking the time to walk me through this, and teach me along the way. I'm so grateful! I hope that Lightroom mobile soon supports custom profiles, but for now I'll be taking your advice and changing the camera profile to "camera standard". It does appear to apply the least noticeable change, so thank you for that bit of advice.

Thank you again for working through this with me! You're a wonderful teacher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help! I hope that Adobe implements custom profiles on mobile Lightroom soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic it should be in the top section on the left panel when you are in library. There is a last import, an all photographs and a synced photographs section there.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines