• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp project on virtual machine viewed using firefox contains only title and ""

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,
I have a large help file in the WebHelp format that has a custom skin (just different colours and buttons, nothing fancy). When I look at it locally via either IE or FF it looks great, but when I put it on a server (virtual machine w/ windows) I can see it in IE as per, but when I look at it in FF I can only see the title of the project across the title bar and the content "" on a white page in the main part of the window... has anyone else seen this? / any ideas about cures?
Thanks,
Chrissy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2009 Jan 23, 2009
This is what I was advised by the company hosting my site. Show it to your IT guys. I had exactly the same problem.

"I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache character set is taken from the locale file on Linux and defaults to iso-8859-1. It is the co...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this and the problem was resolved by the company hosting the webserver. I have the details and will post them over the weekend.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter, that will be brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I was advised by the company hosting my site. Show it to your IT guys. I had exactly the same problem.

"I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache character set is taken from the locale file on Linux and defaults to iso-8859-1. It is the conflict between the Apache header with iso-8859-1 and the page character set of utf-8 that obviously causes Firefox a problem."

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
My machine is Windows, but this fix still worked - some notes about making the fix visible:
1. Do the fix itself (httpd.conf: AddDefaultCharset utf-8).
2. Restart the box to apply the fix.
3. Once the box is restarted, clear your cache in FireFox to make sure you don't continue to see the cached file.
Once all this is done you will see the output content as expected.
Thanks very much Peter!
Chrissy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Glad it worked and thanks for the additional information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp