• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I upgrade from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a subscription to Lightroom and Photoshop Classic. Where can I find directions for upgrading from LIghtroom 6 and Photoshop CS6, my software,  catalog, and plug-ins? I do not want to use the Creative Cloud at this point.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

There is not a big deal to do:

• Save your plug-ins in Ps 6. (to be sure not to loose them)
  • Install Ps CC and Lr Classic CC on your computer.
  • In using Finder (MacOS)/File Explore (Windows) go to the plugin folder and copy the plug-ins over to the new Photoshop install.

Here is a short video explaining the process for Photoshop: How to update Photoshop CC and keep your plugins - PhotoshopCAFE

Look here for information on Lr plug-ins: Manage and use plugins in Lightroom Classic CC |

With Creative Cloud yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a big deal to do:

• Save your plug-ins in Ps 6. (to be sure not to loose them)
  • Install Ps CC and Lr Classic CC on your computer.
  • In using Finder (MacOS)/File Explore (Windows) go to the plugin folder and copy the plug-ins over to the new Photoshop install.

Here is a short video explaining the process for Photoshop: How to update Photoshop CC and keep your plugins - PhotoshopCAFE

Look here for information on Lr plug-ins: Manage and use plugins in Lightroom Classic CC |

With Creative Cloud you mean probably the Lr CC - the new cloud based Lightroom. If you have only the 20Gb of cloud space, you will not get happy using that service. However, you should not forget that you have 20Gb of cloud space and that my come handy one day.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding:

The first time you launch Lightroom Classic CC, it will ask if you want to upgrade your catalog. Select YES or OK or whatever the affirmative is in the dialog box. In my experience, the upgraded catalog still has the plug-ins installed from the previous catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr will make a copy of your catalog so there will be no harm, if you want to restart the old Lr. But I doubt that you ever need that. Anyhow as soon as you add new pictures to the new catalog or edit old pictures, you will have no reason to return to the old catalog. But it is good to know before upgrading...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no place to click “correct”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Where are you looking for a "correct" button to click?

As DJ-Paige said, the first time you start up with the Lightroom Classic, it will ask you if you want to upgrade your catalog and you should say yes. Your catalog will be renamed to whatever your old catalog name was with a 2 beside it.

What may not have been clear in the other explanations:

After installing LR Classic, click the new application to start it - do not double click your old catalog as that will launch the old version of LR.

So when you start LR Classic, try holding the option (alt) key down. LR will open a window asking which catalog you want to open. Select your old catalog and then it will ask you if you want to upgrade your catalog.

Hope that helps - however, I do recommend watching Colin Smith's short video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The “correct” button is not for the install. It’s to say that your advice helped me. I couldn’t find it.

See where it says to click Correct:

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10226758#10226758 <https://forums.adobe.com/message/10226758#10226758> and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this is the easy part:

Click the main header of the forum entry

...and a button will appear near each answer. Make your choice and mark the correct answer correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such button on my screen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP or a moderator sees the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No such button on my screen either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines