• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 a necessity for subscription option?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI all--

I'm brand new to photo-editing (underwater photos) and Lightroom has been suggested to me by many as the best way to go as far as editing programs go.  I'm hoping to go with the subscription version and tried to download the trial version but received the message that my system does not meet the requirements.  As far as I can tell I have enough memory available but I'm wondering if the issue is that I am using Windows 7 (64 bit).  I really have no desire to change to Windows 10 and am wondering if there is a way that I can still use the subscription version without changing over?  Any tips or advice would be very welcome!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Yes, there is a sub subscription plan that will work with Windows 7. It's the Creative Cloud photography plan, and you would have Lightroom Classic CC as well as Photoshop. Lightroom Classic CC is folder based, meaning your master files will be stored in folders on your computer. However, you will have the option to create collections that you can share in the cloud. Lightroom Classic CC is more like the Lightroom that has been around for a number of years. If you have used a previous version of

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system requirements published by Adobe indicate that Windows 10 is required for Lightroom CC.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC system requirements

Lightroom Classic CC will, however, run under Windows 7. Lightroom Classic CC is more robust as far as editing tools are concerned. And you still have the option to share collections via the Internet if you choose to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is nothing available in terms of a subscription that will work with Windows 7?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a sub subscription plan that will work with Windows 7. It's the Creative Cloud photography plan, and you would have Lightroom Classic CC as well as Photoshop. Lightroom Classic CC is folder based, meaning your master files will be stored in folders on your computer. However, you will have the option to create collections that you can share in the cloud. Lightroom Classic CC is more like the Lightroom that has been around for a number of years. If you have used a previous version of Lightroom you would probably be more comfortable with Lightroom Classic CC anyway.

I guess I need to be a little more specific. Adobe has unintentionally confused the public. They have introduced a new cloud-based Lightroom that enables users to store their master images in the cloud and synchronize those images across their computer, their phone and all mobile devices immediately, and have a consistent interface across all those devices. When they introduced this new program late last year they named it Lightroom CC, the same name that has been used for Lightroom for the last several years. The Lightroom CC that we have known was rebranded as Lightroom Classic CC. The new Lightroom CC is in its infancy, and because the interface must be consistent across all devices is lacking a lot of features right now. That is expected to change as the program matures. It is this new Lightroom CC that is only compatible with Windows 10.

What some onlookers seem to regard as the "old" Lightroom is now Lightroom Classic CC. It is still being developed and is alive and well. This is the one that is still compatible with Windows 7. Both versions of Lightroom are available through the Creative Cloud photography plan. Since you are using Windows 7, you just install Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop, and don't worry about the new Lightroom CC.

I don't know why you are hesitant to install Windows 10. The computer I'm using was purchased with Windows 7, and I have converted it to Windows 10 and have had no problems. But it's your choice. I'm not trying to persuade you to switch. In my opinion, however, there's really nothing to be afraid of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It appears that Adobe has stopped supporting Lightroom CC for Windows 7.   It used to run, because I was running the two Lightrooms side-by-side on Windows 7.  Then I did a clean install of Windows 7 and only the Classic would install from the Creative Cloud app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines