Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tempted to Wacom

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I posted this earlier today but forgot to click the 'question' button:

I am thinking of getting a Wacom tablet but have some big reservations, I'm hoping there are tablet users out there who can help me with their experience and workflow.

Biggest question is about using keyboard shortcuts when there's a tablet between you and your keyboard.  I use LOTS of shortcuts very intuitively having done so for over a decade: z s x c v w j ; ' [  ] I can think of offhand, plus all the control/option/command/shift variants.  Does this cause anyone grief? I mean the tablet has some programmable buttons...

Scrolling within an image: Say you zoom in (using the scroll wheel?) and want to 'pan' around, do you just hit 'h' and drag with the pen?  Or do you use the pen to drag scrollbars?  Normally I use the tiny track ball on my Mighty Mouse (or whatever Apple called it...) though that only works in two directions anymore, hence the shopping...

That's what I can think of just now.  Thank you for your patience.  Three hundred bucks is a chunk I'd rather not waste.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people work with the tablet to the right of the keyboard, and at an angle, but that does not suit me.  So my solution is to place the keyboard on wedges, and push the keyboard back or forward according to use

It pains me to put up such ugly photographs, but even I am not so obsessive as to set up the photograph properly

In my case, my G910 keyboard has loops at the bottom which I have used to locate over dowel type protuberance to keep the keyboard from moving on the wooden wedges.  You can see I also tried using that anti-slip rubber matting to keep things steady.   I have been working this way for many years now, and I find it a comfortable way to use the tablet and keyboard together. 

The only tablet control I use is the Express Wheel which I use for brush size and rotate canvas.  I have set up the Tablet properties so the centre button effectively toggles between those settings.  Otherwise I use the keyboard for shortcuts.  I have the nine (x 3) G keys set for various single touch controls like toggle Lazy Nezumi on/off, switch between workspaces, trigger actions etc.

I find the G-keys such a time saver that I would dearly love to get hold of a Logitech G13, but they have been discontinued.   JJMack​

has one, and I am green with envy, but I can't find them in stock anywhere.

[Edit]  By virtue of JJ's animated GIF above, we even have some good ideas of how to use all those options.  These functions can be application specific btw, and I love using my G910 with Sketch Up.  Being able to match the cursor key colour to the different axis is worth the cost of the keyboard all by itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still see them on Amazon its where I ordered mine.  Razer also makes keypagd like them.  The G13 uses the sane software your  logitech gaming mouse uses....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one wild looking apparatus!  Kinda frightening.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack  wrote

Still see them on Amazon its where I ordered mine.  Razer also makes keypagd like them.  The G13 uses the sane software your  logitech gaming mouse uses....

JJ, it never occurred to me to look for alternatives, and as you say, there are at least three according to this review

https://gadgets-reviews.com/review/138-review-of-the-best-keypads.html

From my research into the G13, my feeling is that Logitech discontinued it due to reliability issues, so the Razer versions might even be better.  The Orbweaver has more keys for a start, but I have not worked out yet, if the software works as well as Logitech Gaming.

[An hour later]

I have been hovering up all the information I can find, and I am liking the Razer Orbweaver.  You can even get a Photoshop profile for it. which has to be a time saver.  If it does not totally suite your workflow, then it will surely get you most of the way there leaving you less setting up to do.

[App Release] Chroma Palette for Adobe Photoshop | Razer Insider | Forum

I have so far only found the cheaper Razer Tartarus available locally, but I have found sources of the Orbweaver that ship to NZ, so I'll get one ordered.  Thanks again for the heads up.

[EDIT]  OK, that's on its way.  We have Amazon across the Tasman in Oz now, which makes it a lot easier finding a supplier who will ship to NZ.  I also had forgotten that I had $50 credit with Amazon so a good result all round

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have fun.. I do not use the G13 all that much do not know how it stands up to heavy useage.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JJMack  wrote

Have fun.. I do not use the G13 all that much do not know how it stands up to heavy usage.

I think the Orbweaver was designed with gaming in mind, so its mechanical keys can take a hammering.   I just hope that Razer's software is as easy to use as Logitech's.Gaming Software.  I jumped the gun when I assumed that the Chroma Palette was a key profile for Photoshop.  The clue is in the name, so I should have realised before before RTFM that it was about colours and not Photoshop specific shortcuts and keystroke macros.  There are a lot of user reviews for the two Razer gaming keyboards on Amazon, but I only found one (for the Tartarus) where it was bought for content creation apps rather than gaming.  

I think I have hijacked Aaron's thread for long enough, so I'll start a new one with some feedback after the Orbweaver arrives and I get it set up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your wedges idea--and my keyboard is really narrow, so it may not be too in-the-way.  And it sounds like a tablet is no replacement for your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my tablet between the monitor and the keyboard. The keyboard is on an Ergotron keyboard try, https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/97-582#/, which holds a full-size keyboard, with room for a Logitech Trackball to the right. The tablet is on the desktop in front of the monitor.

I mostly only use the tablet for painting, where i need the touch sensitivity. For general pointing and clicking, I've always preferred the trackball. When I want to use the tablet, it's pretty easy to reach forward with my right hand, while keeping the left hand on the keyboard for the modifier keys.

The keyboard tray was  rather pricey, but is extremely well-made, unlike the cheap ones I've tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is  a serious looking keyboard holder!  I gotta study their products...

I have thought about the trackball idea but didn't dig very deep into it.  That sounds like a real possibility in conjunction with a touch pad.  I don't do very much 'painting' at all.  I mostly erase away things like window mullions, so it's usually a pretty hard edge I need. 

Thanks for the ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines