• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Condition for Photoshop Actions

Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to create a custom "condition" for a complex Photoshop Action.

I have a custom, Unlockbackround.jsx that is in the script menu.

That unlocks the backround layer and then proceeds to group all layers. is there a way to point a condition to a script.?

Right now the condition is

If  back round is locked

play locked backround,

if layer is unlocked then play unlocked backround

the problem is if the "back round layer isn't actually clicked on , it dosnt unlock.

thats why i wrote the .jsx

Problem is i don't want to deploy the scripts, only the actions to our company. any suggestions welcom

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Stephen_A_Marsh  schrieb

… Although it is “fun” using online translators to work out exactly what is going in your screenshot …

That's really a bad trap sometimes.

Stephen_A_Marsh  schrieb

… would opening your action on an English installation still show the action in German?

Not in the past.

But perhaps with the newest versions? Please try it:

Dropbox - Background conditional.atn

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This script always "unlocks" the Background even if it does not exist or is not selected. )

try { app.activeDocument.backgroundLayer.isBackgroundLayer = false } catch(e) {  }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there only files with more than one layer?

(Only) in this case it is possible to create an action which always creates an background layer - or always makes layer from background layer, no matter if a background layer exists or not. No script will be needed.

But if there are also files with only one layer exists - than you will need a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don’t wish to use scripts, then the only other way I can think of to do this in an automated/idiot proof fashion would be to use Conditional Actions. Although Conditional Actions are very limited, they may just do the job for your specific use case.

conditional.png

Select the back layer ( opt/alt + , ) then check to see if it is a true background image “layer” (rather than a standard layer that just happens to be named “Background” and also just happens to be the back layer and also just happens to also be locked).

if.png

or:

locked.png

This could lead incorrect results if the back layer is a non background layer and it is locked…

back-layer-locked.png

Or perhaps you could chain together two different conditional actions (one action playing another action) to check for both locked and background, which is probably overkill.

Anyway, explore these ideas and you should have a viable solution that does not have a dependency on a script. Let me know if you need me to comment further on these points.

EDIT: I just tested with a flattened image and the select back layer step results in an error, so this may not help if there is a chance of flat images being processed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i get it to record select back layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t use the select back layer command if your source images are flattened with only a Background image… So if you are sure that there will be at least a single layer or one or more layers + Background image, then simply record and press:

opt ,

or

alt ,

(That is Option Comma on the Mac OS or Alt Comma on Win OS). There are many keyboard shortcuts that record commands in actions that may no be obvious simply looking at the menus, GUI etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much this fixed everything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works  great on layered files but what if there is oNLY the back round layer? Im attaching  a link Dropbox - Convert RGB to CMYK GRACol 2006.atn

Scenerios

Backround layer only

Backround layer and more layers

No back round layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did mention that at least twice in two different posts.

There may be clues in my earlier post, I need to test a bit further. Actions have limitations and sometimes one can only take things so far without scripts.

I’d be interested to hear from other users to see if they have any workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote a script but then that would also have to be deployed to all the employees as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  understand why you are looking for an action only solution… it is yet to be determined if this is possible.

Actions can record a “relative path” to an installed script in the preset folder that is available  in the script menu – or an action can record the adhoc use of a script that has not been installed using an “absolute path” (this second point would not be useful in a multi user setting unless you could guarantee that all users could access the same shared resource using the same absolute file path i.e. on a server, what if there are both Mac and Win users?).

So, I see three options:

1. Try to make this work only using an action (may or may not be possible, as I said I have an idea that I’ll test later)

2. Distribute both action and script

3. Create a script for the entire process so that only one file needs to be distributed, installed and maintained

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a working Action

Select and Click-on Play button

1. Make Layer- Set a Layer to Empty

2 Set Back Layer to Layer 0

If Layer is locked Play Locked Backround If Else Play Unlocked Backround

UnLocked Backround

locked BackroundScreen Shot 2018-03-07 at 3.23.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-07 at 3.23.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent news, glad you got things working!

I just tested a simplified conditional, however it would depend on the actual complexity on what is possible:

conditional.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for working this out with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was just wondered if you were able to figure out another scenerio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was just wondered if you were able to figure out another scenerio?

Why, I thought that you had nailed it!?

My last post provided a generic solution, however it really comes down to specific use cases so it is too hard to comment without having all of the information presented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did nail it just wondering if you found any other workarounds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did nail it just wondering if you found any other workarounds

I am no longer in day to day production, so I just use the forums to try to “stay sharp”… So until I have a specific case in front of me, no I have not looked into other work arounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

action_conditional.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks pixxxel schubser – that is sort of what I was referring to in post #3:

Or perhaps you could chain together two different conditional actions (one action playing another action)

Although it is “fun” using online translators to work out exactly what is going in your screenshot, would opening your action on an English installation still show the action in German?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen_A_Marsh  schrieb

… Although it is “fun” using online translators to work out exactly what is going in your screenshot …

That's really a bad trap sometimes.

Stephen_A_Marsh  schrieb

… would opening your action on an English installation still show the action in German?

Not in the past.

But perhaps with the newest versions? Please try it:

Dropbox - Background conditional.atn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you pixxxel schubser!

eng.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing Stephen_A_Marsh,

Is this my action on an english installation? Was it automatically translated without any rebuild?

If so, than this are great news for all which are works with actions recorded in different installation languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pixxxel schubser yes, it is your action in CC18 and nothing further was done, simply loaded into an English version. Thank you for sharing the action and helping to find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your own help should not be underestimated!

It was a nice playing in the sandbox. Take and give relationship.

Thank you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines