• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get Adobe .pdx file to work online?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have thoroughly googled this topic without any luck finding a workable solution. On my laptop I created a folder containing a collection of 280 PDF documents. Within that folder are two additional files created when I ran a "Full Text Index With Catalog" using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro: .LOG and .PDX files. Also within the folder is a sub-folder containing index.idx and index1.idx. The index1.idx contains all the results of the search index. The index works great when operating locally on my laptop.

My aim is to make this PDF collection available to the public. I uploaded the entire folder to my website and created a webpage with a link to the .PDX file expecting the search index to work on the website the way it works on my laptop. No such luck! Using both Firefox and Chrome yields pretty much the same results: the PDX file tries to open files on my computer rather than the set of files stored on the website. Here's what happens depending on whether the PDX is opened with Acrobat or Reader:

1.  "You have chosen to open this PDX file. Open with ..." I selected Adobe Acrobat. This results in an error message: "Search could not load the index (C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\library.pdx. You may need to rebuild this index."

2.  If I try to open the .PDX by navigating to the Adobe Reader software on my computer (AcrRd32.exe), I get the following: "The operation you are trying to perform potentially requires read access to your drives. Do you want to allow this operation?

How can I get this to work from the website? Alternatively, are there other options out there to achieve the same result?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Acrobat Catalog and .pdx files cannot be used online.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this question ever answered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need a web Search engine that handles PDF. There is way to use the Acrobat-created index as part of this solution, but there are many web search solutions. Your server may already have one. Also Google works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested to learn what thay way is! Any code available?

I have now set up my own OpenSearchServer AND OpenSemanticSearch server but these both require Apache SOLR to run which means I need a dedicated linux host. I was hoping to use a solution that would run on my existing shared LAMP hosting environment.

The Adobe solution presents the search snippets and links into the documents in a way that is better than these two solutions.

What would be useful is a way of handing over the found and selected document to the Adobe DC reader to then present the found pages with the search text highlighted. Even better would be a solution that did not require the document to be downloaded, but presented the found pages in an HTML5 webpage sequence so that the user could easily find the most relevant text to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There was a typo in my reply, sorry. There is  NO way to use the Acrobat-created index as part of this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Catalog and .pdx files cannot be used online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines