• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom locks up after 5 minutes and I have to shut down and restart?

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes me hours to do anything because I always have to shut down and restart. Very slow and stops working all the time. I have deleted the program and reloaded it and it is no different. Same problem. I am about to give up on lightroom.

Charlie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Lightroom do you have installed? Please don't say the "current" version.

What operating system are you using?

How much RAM does your computer have?

A few details about your computer system would really help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue running LR 6.0,  Windows 10 Home, Intel i7 3.2Ghz 4 core 8 logical processors, 24 GB RAM.

It seems when it hangs that it's chewing up about 40-50% of total CPU across all CPUs. 

I have about 150K photos and am working on tagging. 

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If you are really running Lightroom 6 .0, have you considered installing the 6.14 update?

2. Have you tried turning off GPU support in the Lightroom preferences? It's on the performance tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give both of those a try.

thx

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off GPU support didn't do anything.  Also tried optimizing the db, no effect.

I can't see how to update to 6.14 of the desktop app, the only update option that comes up is to upgrade to the CC version.  Am I missing something?

thx

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off GPU support, no difference.  I Optimized the library, no change.   And I can't find a way to just update 6.0 to 6.14, the only update option is to udpate to Lightroom CC, am I missing something? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new Lightroom Classic cc, windows 10, Intel Core i7 CPU, RAM

8 GB, 64 bit Operating system.

Graphic Processor:Open GL: Quadro FX 880M/PCLe/SSE2

Lenove W510 Laptop

I also use a Canon 5Dsr 50 MP camera since 2015. before that just a 5D.

Never had a problem before I down loaded the Classic cc software.

It does it for all photos from 2007 when I started doing digital. I have

been going back and reworking all my photos.

Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@charandbas It would be of some help if you advised the capacity of your HDD and how much free space is available on the drive. If it is below 25% of the total drive capacity then this could be the source of your problem.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY HD is 226GB and it has 88GB free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will get a new HD with a larger capacity. Hopefully that will solve my

problems.

It has been very helpful communicating with you.

Thanks Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to download the 6.14 update from the following website. Just scroll down to where it says Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 and click on it, and all of the updates are listed. You only need to download the topmost update and install it.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  that's a very useful link (no way to get it to it from any information provided in in Updates section of the app!)  

Now my problem is that it won't let me install it.  I get an error when I try to run the 6.14 patch installer

I've rerun the installer and it seems to run fine (see below) but keep getting the same error:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mike_ayu

"Thanks,  that's a very useful link (no way to get it to it from any information provided in in Updates section of the app!) 

Now my problem is that it won't let me install it.  I get an error when I try to run the 6.14 patch installer"

See the screen capture from the link that JimHess posted.

First question did you delete or uninstall the Lightroom 6.0 that you had installed?

If you did then you will need to download the full original application first, install this and then run the update patch for Lr 6.14.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 8.35.16 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, still have the full 6.0 install and can run it (although now it typically only lasts a couple minutes until it hangs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike you obviously have different problems than the original poster of this thread, its best that you start a new thread and provide detailed information about your operating system and the problem you are having.

This thread is presently dealing with three different issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new 500 GB SSD HD and I still can't get the Metadata to show up

after I have been looking at different negatives. It takes 5-15 minutes

for the metadata to show. Befor I loaded Classic CC I did not have this

problem.

Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR Classic 7..2 release / CR 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried turning off GPU support to compare performance? It's easy to turn off and turn back on. If you haven't compared, it's worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on photos right now with the graphic support turned off and

seeing if it makes a difference.

Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I sent you the email saying I was working on a photo, when I went

back to do some more work I could not advance to the next photo. I will

have to log out and reboot. When this happens and I move from the

Developing Mod. to the Library the Med data does not show. If I walk

away for 10-20 it shows up but when I try to do some more work it takes

forever for the data to show so I just reboot. work for 5-10 and reboot

again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it stops working and I go to the Library Mod the metadata does not

show but I can still go from photo to photo but I cant do any work in

the Develop mod. It is running about 5-7 minutes which I can get some

work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also notice that when it locks up and I try to quit and up date the

catalogue it will not do it I have to stop the updating and then reboot

and then log out and  up date the catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problam as charandbas. Version 7.2 of Lightroom Classic CC, Windows 10, 8GB of RAM, 30GB out of 90GB free on my SSD, Intel i5 2500k, NVidia Gtx 560ti. After a couple of Minutes after starting the programm, it doesn't find any smart previews anymore, if i click another image, the metadata doesn't change, images aren't loaded (or only after some minutes).

It worked fine - after vacations I updated to the latest version and imported my new images. Since than, this problem occurs. The programm is quite unusable like this.

edit: The Workaround 2 posted under https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/issues-lightroom-classic-7-2.html seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines