• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update to Photoshop 2018 has stopped all NEF raw files from opening

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud updated my photoshop to 2018 version.  Now it won't open my NEF raw files even though I have made photoshop 2018 the default for such files.
It opens the dialogue panel but once I click done on it, the image/filie disappears and does not then show in photoshop.
It is gone and photoshop then crashes.
I am in the middle of a massive photoshoot with a deadline and this is really frustrating. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to respond>

I have tried these things, uninstall, reinstall 2018.... then deleting it completely and reinstalling my original 2017.
It did not work....
BUT... after reading through many forums of people having the same issue, I did the following...
>Edit > Preferences > (right down the bottom) Camera Raw > and then I unchecked the box for "Performance - Use Graphics Processor" and VOILA!  It fixed it!
I hope this helps others with the same issue.
Obviously photoshop is no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely caused by the installer removing your old versions after 2018 was installed. This is known to cause problems - the uninstall takes all file associations with it, leaving the new version orphaned.

First try to re-establish file associations. You can do this in Bridge preferences, or go directly to the operating system.

If that doesn't work, uninstall CC2018 and reinstall. That should restore everything.

If that still doesn't work, uninstall and run the CC cleaner tool, then reinstall. This is the nuclear option if all else fails.

There is a checkbox to remove old versions in the CC installer, unfortunately it's hidden behind "show more options". A lot of us have requested that this option is brought up front, and with uninstall deselected by default. If you do wish to remove the old versions, it's best to do this first. Then install the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to respond>

I have tried these things, uninstall, reinstall 2018.... then deleting it completely and reinstalling my original 2017.
It did not work....
BUT... after reading through many forums of people having the same issue, I did the following...
>Edit > Preferences > (right down the bottom) Camera Raw > and then I unchecked the box for "Performance - Use Graphics Processor" and VOILA!  It fixed it!
I hope this helps others with the same issue.
Obviously photoshop is not the program it once was, so many bugs and issues and I detest CC !!!.
And no real customer support, just people like yourself and others who have worked hard to find solutions.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I should have read your original post more carefully. I thought you got no reaction when trying to open raw files - but you do: Photoshop crashes. That's a smoking gun.

You should know that the real problem here is buggy video card drivers. That's outside Adobe's control. The fact is that these drivers are made to get the latest video games working, not to get Photoshop/ACR working. That's just the vendors' priorities, that's where their sales are.

Sooner or later a driver update will fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I totally understand that, (makes sense to me even though it was all so frustrating and seemed to hinge on the update via CC)
Appreciate your time 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, that fixed the problem for me also.  Thank you so much for your input.  This was a very frustrating issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines