• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open a .file file in photoshop?

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently was given some lost pictures back but they are .file files and not .psd files. Is there a way to open them in photoshop or convert them back to .psd files with all functioning layers?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

If they have a file extension .file it may just be the have wrong extension string.  Tre renameing a file *.file to *.psd and try to open it with Photoshop.  Try other exrensions like .png, Tiff , bmp, gif etc

.FILEFile Extension

File TypeGeneric Windows File

DeveloperN/A
Popularity
3.7 (138 Votes)

CategoryMisc Files
FormatN/A

What is a FILE file?

A FILE is a generic file extension that may be appended to a Windows file that does not have an extension. It is an unknown file type and no associated program

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they have a file extension .file it may just be the have wrong extension string.  Tre renameing a file *.file to *.psd and try to open it with Photoshop.  Try other exrensions like .png, Tiff , bmp, gif etc

.FILEFile Extension

File TypeGeneric Windows File

DeveloperN/A
Popularity
3.7 (138 Votes)

CategoryMisc Files
FormatN/A

What is a FILE file?

A FILE is a generic file extension that may be appended to a Windows file that does not have an extension. It is an unknown file type and no associated program will automatically open it.

More Information

Since the file has a generic extension, you may try opening a ".file" file by dragging it to applications that you think may open it. If the file is formatted as a text file, you can at least view the contents of the file by opening it in a text editor.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, I did this but every time I try to open it photoshop gives me an error message that says "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid photoshop document". I can't imagine the files are corrupted because I received them from a printing company who were nice enough to give me copies because my personal files were lost. I opened them as png and that worked, I received them through an email and they were .file files, hence my original question. The time I sent them to that company was in 2015 and I just now received them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you get a situation like that again open the file with notepad and look at the first few characters

A jpeg starts ÿØÿá

A gif starts GIF

A Png Starts ‰PNG

A PSD starts 8BPS

Then it is simply a matter of adding the correct extension

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of a '.file' Windows file format, and nor is there one in this Wikipedia list

List of file formats - Wikipedia

So it sounds like someone made a mistake.   It's not terribly clear from your second post, but are you telling us that you have now fixed your problem by renaming the files with a PNG extension?  If that is the case, would you please mark JJ's post as correct so people know this thread has been resolved.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines