• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tempted by Wacom

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has probably been answered but I can't find it, so appologies in advance!

I am thinking of getting a Wacom tablet but have some big reservations, I'm hoping there are tablet users out there who can help me with their experience and workflow.

Biggest question is about using keyboard shortcuts when there's a tablet between you and your keyboard.  I use LOTS of shortcuts very intuitively having done so for over a decade: z s x c v w j ; ' [  ] I can think of offhand, plus all the control/option/command/shift variants.  Does this cause anyone grief? I mean the tablet has some programmable buttons...

Scrolling within an image: Say you zoom in (using the scroll wheel?) and want to 'pan' around, do you just hit 'h' and drag with the pen?  Or do you use the pen to drag scrollbars?  Normally I use the tiny track ball on my Mighty Mouse (or whatever Apple called it...) though that only works in two directions anymore, hence the shopping...

That's what I can think of just now.  Thank you for your patience.  Three hundred bucks is a chunk I'd rather not waste.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy the tablet. It will take some getting used to, but you won’t regret it. You can custom program it however you want, and you can keep using your keyboard shortcuts. I have the pen programmed to scale my brushes with a rocker button click and drag. The top direction on the pen rocker clicker gives me a control click (or right click for PC). I use keyboard shortcuts for zoom, pan and tons of other things. Seriously the Wacom tablet is an absolute must to be a professional Photoshop artist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm about convinced.  I saw the bit on Wacom's website about programming it for photoshop.  Sounds pretty good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron, you asked about this a few days ago and got some ideas.  One thing I'll add to my previous reply is that, unlike some people, I don't use the tablet exclusively.  A really good mouse is still a huge advantage with apps like Photoshop, because it gives you such fine control.  So I still use a mouse with the Pen tool to accurately place the points, by way of example.

Did you not like the keyboard on wedges over the tablet idea in THIS THREAD?  It still needs some adjusting to.  The keyboard is a wee bit higher for a start off, which is why I angle it making it higher at the back.  I also raise my seat a wee bit to compensate, but I can type as quickly as ever.  The bottom line is that I don't even think about it.  It never feels awkward.  

I'd still like one of those G13 keypads though, and I see JJ says that Razer do something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Like Trevor, I use a mouse for paths. However for any brushwork on the image it is the pen every time. I have the keyboard positioned between my tablet and the monitor screen and have no problems at all using my left hand for shortcuts whilst my right hand draws with the pen.

Go for it

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Theresa+J  wrote

you won’t regret it.

I did

I struggled with it for three weeks, then I threw it in a drawer and that's where it still sits. And mind you, I grew up with pencils, charcoals and paintbrushes, I have an art education and the equivalent of a master's degree from art school. So it should be very familiar, right?

It just didn't work for me. I much prefer a good mouse.

The point is that if someone out there reads this and thinks "I don't use a tablet. There's something wrong with me..." - then no, you're perfectly OK. Use whatever works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines