• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Mac and LR Keeps crashing, Coincidence?

New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Creative cloud. My software is all up to date. Brand new Mac running Sierra OS 10.12.4 version. I did have all data migrated from old Mac to my new one. Could this cause the crashing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

give us more details.

What are you doing in Lightroom when it crashes? Is it the entire computer that crashes and has to be restarted, or just Lightroom crashes?

What is the version NUMBER of your Lightroom?

Have you tried turning off the GPU acceleration? (Go to Preferences, click on the Performance tab, then uncheck the box that says "Use Graphics Processor")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

Adobe LR CC 2015.10 Release

It is just LR that is quitting unexpectedly. Everything else seems to be fine.

Interestingly enough, LR seems to crash when I am not using it. Sometimes, after I have walked away and come back. I find the message asking if I want to report the crash to Apple.

I will try to turn off GPU acceleration now. Just checked and it was not on.

Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the above doesn’t work, try this: Log into another account. Launch LR and see if it quits by itself. IF NOT something loading in the other account is the cause; tracking that down will take some work. You can also try booting into safe mode; hold S key when rebooting. Crash when LR is idle?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is helpful advice. And yes, it is crashing when idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try two things:

Reset LR preferences:

http://lightroomkillertips.com/something-acting-weird-try-resetting-lightroom-ccs-preferences/

Create a new catalog and see if LR still crashes:

Photoshop Lightroom catalog FAQ

Hope this helps.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a major issue, where Lightroom started by getting stick and not responding and now it is completely crashing my mac and causing it to restart! I have a 2017 iMac 27inch and I am Running Sierra 10.12.6 and lightroom is on the latest 2018 CC version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is crashing your computer, this is a hardware malfunction or a bad driver (video driver, motherboard driver). You need to reinstall your drivers and run diagnostics on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When it doesnt crash I get a message saying that Lightroom needs to shutdown because Lightroom encountered a problem reading previews? Could this be caused by drivers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines